Growing up, I was always ecstatic when my mom bought me some slime. It came in a little oval container, reminded me of snot, and lasted a week at the most before it got covered in dirt, hair, and whatever else was lying around the carpet. Luckily for me, I am a grown up now (kind of), and I can make my own slime anytime I want. 

Recently, different types of slime have become popular on YouTube and Instagram. While it's a generally a great activity to do with kids, you're never too old to make some slime. Making it and squishing it around is weirdly fun and can actually be very calming. I can't think of a more fun way to get some relief from those back-to-school jitters. If you have stress or anxiety, are drunk, or just want to play with some goo, here are five slime recipes for you to try. 

1. Fluffy Slime

This is one of the Internet's favorite slime recipes! To make it: 

1. Mix 1 cup of hot water with 1 tsp of borax. Stir until they're mixed. 

2. Add 1/2 a cup of Elmer's Glue, 1/2 a cup of shaving cream, and 1/2 a cup of foaming handsoap in a mixing bowl. Mix until it's the consistency of whipped cream. 

3. Add food coloring or paint to color your slime.

4. Take the borax mixture we made in the first step, and add a little bit at a time to the mixing bowl. If you add too much your slime won't activate properly. You'll know it's the right texture when the slime starts sticking to itself instead of the bowl!

5. Take it out of the bowl and knead it a bit with your hands. It'll be sticky at first but as you keep working it, it'll become the right consistency. That's all! You can store your slime in a sealed container in the fridge for about 2 weeks. 

2. Crunchy Slime

This one is great for ASMR, the sound is very satisfying and the crunchy texture is addictive. 

1. Dump an entire bottle of clear Elmer's Glue into a mixing bowl, and add a 1/4 cup of water. 

2. Start adding a little bit of liquid starch at a time, mixing it in to try to get to the proper consistency. You're waiting for it to congeal and turn from soupy to slimy. It will start off as sticky, but if you keep adding small amounts of liquid starch, it'll stop sticking to your hands. You want to keep a little stick in this slime, though, so that the beads will stick to it.  

3. Add these beads to your bowl. You'll be surprised at how many beads your slime can hold. Knead them in and add more until you get to your desired level of crunchiness. 

3. Glitter Slime

Definitely the bougie-est of the slime recipes

1. Add a bottle of clear glue and a 1/4 cup of water. Mix.

2. Add all the glitter you can! The most glitter the better, also, add different types, colors, textures, and shapes of glitter to give your slime more dimension. Mix it all together. 

3. Add a pinch of baking soda and a few squirts of contact solution. Mix it together, and add more baking soda and contact solution as needed to get your mixture to the proper slime consistency. 

4. Jiggly Slime

This one is super bouncy and fun to play with. 

1. Add 2 cups of Elmer's glue, 1 cup of cold water, and a few pumps of foaming hand soap to a mixing bowl. Mix together. You can also add dye to color your slime. 

2. Add in a borax mixture, liquid startch, or contact solution and baking soda (all work to activate the slime) a little bit at a time until you get to the right texture. 

3. Add 8 ounces of hot water to the slime. This water should be pretty hot, but be careful not to burn yourself. After that's mixed, add another 8 ounces of hot water. 

4. Keep mixing until all of the water is absorbed by the slime. If you want it to be jigglier, add more hot water and repeat! 

5. Butter Slime

This slime looks just like and has the consistency of butter, it's one of the more difficult ones to make because the measurements are so exact, but the results are worth it.  

1. Add 3 tablespoons of corn starch and 3 tablespoons of white Elmer's glue to a mixing bowl, then add 3 tablespoons of shaving cream and four pinches of baking soda. 

2. Add a few drops of yellow food coloring to make it butter colored. Mix all of this together until it feels like cake batter.

3. Add 2 tsps of contact solution, and mix until it turns into slime. 

4. Once your slime is made, add 1/2 tsp of baby oil to make your slime have a buttery slime. This one is fun to spread around with a knife and will hold it's shape better than the other slime recipes. 

These five slime recipes are some of my favorites, but barely scratch the surface of slime potential. There are endless ways to create and customize your slime, so don't be scared to get a little messy and have fun.