In life, there are three super hard things to master: adulting, removing toxic people from our lives, and grieving the loss of those people. Nobody really wants to remove people from their life, but the sad truth is that some people are incredibly toxic, which is not healthy to be around. Getting these people out of your life is one thing, but to get over them is a whole other story.

When recovering from a toxic friendship, try doing some of the following things to make your recovery a peaceful one.

1. Stop feeling guilty about your decision

Keep in mind that you did what's best for you, and by the end of the day, that's all that really matters. If someone has a problem with your decision, they've got to go. 

2. Surround yourself with people who would do absolutely anything for you

beer, pizza, tea, cake
Nicole Gallina

Most of us have few real friends and several acquaintances. When getting over the loss of a toxic person, it's important to talk to someone who cares about you. Your real friends are always there for you—never forget that. They know you better than you know yourself and will help get you back on track in no time.

3. Go on a spontaneous day trip alone.

tea
Molly Gallagher

You might feel like you need a change of scenery, and that's just fine. Also, you might want to be left alone for a little bit, so use that alone time to go travel to someplace new for a little bit.

4. Meditate... or sleep all day

pizza, beer, tea, coffee
Rebecca Block

Sometimes, you just want to be as far away from people as possible, and that's acceptable. For the time being, ignore everyone else and focus on yourself. You'll thank yourself later on.