It’s no secret that college dining halls don’t necessarily go out of their way to accommodate gluten-free students, particularly when it comes to breakfast. If you’re gluten-free by allergy or choice, mornings can be a struggle.

Even if your university does offer gluten-free options, it’s easy to get sick of the choices provided. Check out some easy gluten-free breakfasts that are quick to make and even quicker to eat thanks to how delish they are. 

1. Rice Cakes with Peanut Butter and Apples

Rice cakes are constantly being hated on for being bland or boring, but they’re a staple to create yummy gluten-free breakfasts or snacks.

For this quick meal, all you need to do is take your favorite flavor of rice cake (I recommend non-salted or chocolate!), smother it in ooey-gooey peanut butter, and top it off with a sliced apple.

You’ll get a full serving of fruit as well as some much-needed early morning protein! This is a great alternative to toast or a bagel and the texture of the creamy peanut butter mixed with the crunchy rice cake makes for a great taste in each bite.

#SpoonTip: Add honey if you're craving something extra sweet. 

Jill Fury

2. Gluten-Free Oatmeal with Bananas, Honey, and Pecans

This combo is my personal favorite, but the options are endless when it comes to creating a flavorful oatmeal bowl; from the type of oats you prefer (rolled or steel-cut) to your favorite toppings. I eat oatmeal nearly every day so, believe me, I’ve tried dozens of combinations. The good news is they’re always delicious.

Most oatmeal only has small traces of gluten, but it’s always good to play it safe and buy a brand that is labeled as gluten-free, especially if you are gluten intolerant. By topping your bowl with bananas, you'll get a serving of fruit and pecans are a great healthy fat to incorporate into your meal. Of course, honey adds just enough sweetness to your breakfast.

Simply pop in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and enjoy! 

#SpoonTip: For a twist on classic oatmeal, combine oats and water, milk, or a non-dairy substitute to make overnight oats. Interested? Check out this recipe to get started! 

Jill Fury

3. Gluten-Free Granola with Milk (or a Non-Dairy Substitute!)

There are a ton of great granola brands on the market these days, and they’re available pretty much anywhere you can buy groceries.

Granola, especially when it includes super-foods such as chia or flaxseeds, is a great source of nutrients. This alternative to sugary cereal will definitely leave you feeling full but not sluggish. Be sure to check the label to make sure you're getting a gluten-free variety.

4. Yogurt Parfait

For this breakfast, all you need are ingredients that you can easily get from your dining hall.

Of course, you can always take a trip to the grocery store to find your preferred brands/ingredients or extra toppings.

To make a super-yummy parfait, simply layer your favorite kind of yogurt with different fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, or banana. Once again, there are loads of options to personalize a parfait, from granola to chia seeds. This Insta-worthy breakfast will leave you feeling refreshed.

#SpoonTip: If you have a blender, you can throw your parfait ingredients in to quickly whip up a drool-worthy smoothie 

Hopefully these recipes give you some ideas about how to find your perfect, dorm-room, gluten-free breakfast; after all, it is the most important meal of the day.