Oatmeal. It's a basic (and healthy) breakfast that has semi-recently exploded onto the food scene. It's gone from a traditional winter breakfast to a versatile staple that's used in baking, smoothies, and even savory dishes. In fact, in 2012 an entire restaurant devoted to the dish opened in Lower Manhattan, called Oatmeals. Luckily, you don't have to travel all the way to NYC to get creative with your oatmeal. You don't even have to leave your kitchen to try the following oatmeal recipes and enjoy innovative oats year-round.

January: Steel Cut Oat Risotto

While oatmeal is usually a sweet dish to start off the day, it can also make a great base for savory food. Mix it up with this savory mushroom risotto for dinner. Alternatively, just eat mushroom risotto for breakfast; this warming bowl will taste good all day.

February: Red Velvet Oatmeal

You don't have to love Valentine's Day to eat this chocolate-drizzled cake-inspired red oatmeal. Whether or not you buy Hallmark cards and boxes of chocolates, try this recipe for red velvet overnight oats to celebrate February's red and pink holiday.

March: Peanut Butter Oatmeal

March 1st is peanut butter lover's day, so why not enjoy a bowl of peanut butter cookie oatmeal. Topped with banana, maple syrup, and more peanut butter, this breakfast is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.

April: Banana Bread Oatmeal

While waiting out the April showers, stay warm by cooking up a bowl of this banana-bread inspired oatmeal for breakfast. Just like real banana bread, it's packed with flavor (and chocolate chips) but takes less than half the time to make – no joke.

May: Cherry Almond Oatmeal

Little known fact: May is the start of cherry harvest season, making it the perfect time to begin enjoying the sweet summer fruit. Take advantage of the month by cooking up a bowl of cherry-almond oatmeal, which takes less than 20 minutes.

June: Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal

Now that summer is officially here, celebrate the start of June with Strawberry-Rhubarb Oatmeal. Using seasonal produce, this breakfast is perfect for sunny mornings.

July: Blueberry Pie Overnight Oats

Cool off from the summer heat with these blueberry pie overnight oats. Not only are overnight oats colder than a steaming bowl of oatmeal, they're also much easier to make. Just prep these the night before and you're good to go.

August: S'mores Oatmeal

What is more representative of the summer break than s'mores? (Hint: there isn't anything). Try this s'mores oatmeal for when you sadly don't have access to a campfire. Even if you do, you can still enjoy this sweet oatmeal topped with chocolate and graham cracker crumbles.

September: Apple Pie Oatmeal

If you've ever gone apple picking in the fall, you've probably ended up with way more apples than you know what to do with – at least I have. Put the apples to good use in this apple pie oatmeal and enjoy a warm breakfast all month long.

October: Snickers Oatmeal

While some may be partial to Milky Way or Kit Kats, this Snickers-inspired oatmeal is the perfect way to celebrate Halloween all month long!

November: Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Instead of waiting until the fourth Thursday, enjoy an American favorite a little early with this pumpkin pie oatmeal. Full of pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon, and topped with maple pecans, this bowl is basically dessert for breakfast.  

December: Peppermint Mocha Oatmeal

There's no denying that hot cocoa is the best way to warm up after any winter activity and candy canes are basically the official treat of December. With this peppermint mocha oatmeal recipe, you can enjoy both (and some caffeine to help with finals week).