Spain is infamous for its paella and fresh meats, but Madrid has a hidden gem that must be shared with the world.

When my family entered Madrid, we were overcome with the desire for dessert. We wandered through the streets and almost gave up until we came across a side street off of Plaza Mayor. There we found San Ginés, a place where dreams actually come true.

churros

Photo by Kelly Smith

The menu is simple with only one dish: chocolate con churros.

We stood at the counter and watched as our waitress physically poured chocolate from a pitcher into cups and unwound our churros from a spiral. So simple, yet elegant.

The chocolateria is two floors and undoubtedly the cutest place you will ever see. The line was out the door, as always, so make sure you’re prepared to wait in live with drool falling from your mouth.

churros

Photo by Kelly Smith

For just 6 Euros, we received a plate of indescribable churro’s and two coffee cups filled to the brim with pure melted chocolate. Need I say more?

If pure chocolate isn’t your thing, they also offer powdered sugar on the side. (Apparently that’s just a thing American’s do…) I highly suggest dipping your warm churro in the chocolate and then finishing off your creation with a dash of powdered sugar.

churros

Photo by Kelly Smith

Remember, it’s rude in Spain not to finish everything on your plate so make sure you drink the remaining chocolate.

So, go ahead—start filling out your abroad applications to Spain.

P.S. The chocolateria is also open 24 hours a day. Your late-night chocolate craving prayers have finally been answered. You’re welcome.

Need to see more? Check out these other churro recipes and study abroad tips: