Boston’s food scene — specifically breakfast scene — can be overwhelming to navigate. The city and its surrounding towns are filled with an abundance of enticing food spots and mouthwatering dishes. The endless restaurant possibilities and countless breakfast joints can be a lot for you to handle at the early morning hours of the day, after a late (or alcohol-filled) night, or on a lazy Sunday when all you can think about is what you want to eat, but not where you can go to get it.

As we’ve all heard many times, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. An insufficient, rushed, or skipped breakfast can potentially lead to a bad day. While enjoying a good breakfast — perhaps one of Boston’s top breakfast sandwiches — can make for a glorious day.

For all of you Bostoners and “right-outside-of-Bostoners,” I’ve come up with a list of the must-try breakfast sandwiches that exist in and around Boston. Now you won’t waste time in the morning deciding where to pick up your breakfast sandwich, and you won’t spoil your entire day by deciding on the wrong one.

1. “Egg and Feta” from 3 Little Figs

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

The Egg and Feta from Somerville’s 3 Little Figs is a Greek twist on the classic egg sandwich. Its scramble of local and cage-free eggs is filled with Greek herbs and sheep’s milk feta.

The eggs sit on arugula, and they are topped with tomato and, if you’d like, your choice of bacon or prosciutto. A soft brioche roll holds the contents together, and makes for an all around light, fluffy, and very tasty sandwich.

2. “Buttery Breakfast Sandwich” from South End Buttery

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

With a name like South End Buttery, how could you expect their classic breakfast sandwich to be anything other than a butter-filled creation? An egg scramble of aged cheddar, overflowing slices of crunchy bacon, and a fresh piece of tomato are just the beginning to this egg sandwich.

The perfect complement to the egg and cheese is a warm, salted butter biscuit that ties everything together, allowing this sandwich to stand out among the rest, making the South End Buttery a necessary stop on your breakfast journey.

3. “Fancy” from Mike & Patty’s

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

If you’re looking for something a little cheesier, something a little saucier, Mike & Patty’s Fancy is the call. Sandwiched between two slices of toasted Iggy’s multigrain bread are two eggs fried to perfection.

Accompanying the eggs are melted cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, and ample amounts of avocado spread and cooked onions. The entire sandwich is then smothered with a house mayo, bringing all of the flavors together and producing that saucy effect you were initially after.

4. “Classic Jumbo” from Bagelsaurus

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Madeleine Cohen 

For all of you bagel fanatics, I traveled to Bagelsaurus, Boston’s best bagel shop. Once I had found Boston’s chewiest, crunchiest, softest bagel, you can imagine that their classic bacon, egg, and cheese came together quite flawlessly.

First I was presented with a large variety of bagel flavors, from classics like everything and poppy seed to not-so-classics like sea salt, pretzel, black olive, and cheddar garlic. Wedged between the bagel of my choice (everything) were a runny egg, a generous supply of fresh avocado, Cabot cheddar cheese, and bacon, at my request. A sweet but mild mustard butter smeared on each side of the bagel tied the contents together and gave an extra kick, though slight, to an altogether seamless sandwich.

5. “Egg Sandwich” from Cutty’s

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

Cutty’s Egg Sandwich could be the messiest attempt you will make at finding your favorite Boston breakfast. But in this case, the messier the better. When glancing up at the chalkboard at the ingredients of this egg sandwich, I was struck by the choice between not two but three sauces — truffle ketchup, spicy mayo, or red-eye mayo — to add to my sandwich.

Despite my love for anything truffle, I chose spicy mayo. (And you’ll just have to go to Cutty’s to discover what “red-eye” mayo entails.) The spicy mayo as well as the warm, buttery brioche made for the ultimate egg, cheddar cheese, and breakfast sausage sandwich.

6. “Egg Sandwich” from Sofra Bakery and Café

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

The “Egg Sandwich” at Sofra Bakery and Café is another Mediterranean twist on the classic BEC. You’ll get your egg and bacon fix, but this time, these ingredients are accompanied by a piece of fried haloumi cheese as well as feta butter. A flaky, brioche bun sprinkled with crispy onions creates a crumbly delight that, along with many other Mediterranean snacks, will lure you back to Sofra time and time again.

7. “Pork Roll Breakfast Sandwich” from Moody’s

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

Moody’s Delicatessen & Provisions sells handcrafted meats and charcuterie produced in-house, but these are not the only products on their menu. Moody’s offers a variety of sandwiches, including the Moody’s Pork Roll Breakfast Sandwich, which alone should inspire you to pay this deli a visit. An egg scramble oozes with American cheese and is not only sandwiched between an English muffin, but also between two pieces of Moody’s very own pork roll. Spicy ketchup is the finishing touch.

And don’t forget to try a bag of Moody’s homemade truffle chips while you’re at it.

breakfast sandwiches

Photo by Madeleine Cohen