Spoon University Logo
Firecakes1
Firecakes1
News

National Doughnut Day: A Guide To Getting Free Doughnuts on 6/6

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at U Mich chapter.

Go nuts for doughnuts because Friday June 6th, itā€™s about to get pretty hype. Knowing that this may be the one day of the year I eat a doughnut (itā€™s not my top dessert) I searched far and wide for where I can get doughnuts foā€™ freeā€”or at least for a discount.

National Doughnut Day began in 1938 when the Salvation Army handed out doughnuts to soldiers during World War I. Now itā€™s pretty much an excuse to eat and Instagram more doughnuts than usual. Iā€™m not complaining.

Hereā€™s a list of places to go almost anywhere in the country. All the free doughnuts areĀ while supplies lasts of course.

• Krispy Kreme: You donā€™t even need to buy anything to get a free doughnut. Locations all over the US.
  • Dunkin Donuts: Get a free ā€˜donutā€™ with the purchase of any beverage. Locations are all over the US.
  • Cumberland Farms: Get a free doughnut with the purchase of any beverage. They have locations in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Florida and New York. Twitter: @cumberlandfarms
  • Shipleyā€™s Do-Nuts: If you go to any store between 5 am and noon, you can get a free doughnut and small coffee. They have locationsĀ in Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee.
  • Tim Hortonā€™s CafĆ© & Bakery:Ā Free doughnut for anyone who wishes the cashier a Happy National Doughnut Day. Twitter: @TimHortonsUS
  • Doughnut Planet NYC: Get a free mini carnival sprinkle cake doughnut with every order. Check here for locations.
  • Bennisonā€™s: This one only really applies to Northwestern students or those who hailĀ from Evanston, IL. Bennisonā€™s is offering glazed doughnuts for just 89 cents. Also, you should know they have a maple bacon long john for sale (see below).
Doughnut

Maple bacon long john from Bennisonā€™s Bakery. Photo by Amanda Gajdosik

Pro tip: Just because a place isnā€™t listed here doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t convince them to give you a free doughnut. It canā€™t hurt to ask.

Did you find another place with free doughnuts? Let us know in the comments!