Spoon University Logo
sara suave yerba mate
sara suave yerba mate
Lifestyle

Why The Yerba Mate Is Better Than Any Latte

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Denison chapter.

The internet is buzzing about the new, trendy, and green yerba mate. Turns out yerba mate is a wonder drug (oops, I mean wonder beverage). The traditional South American drink, made from the dried leaves of an evergreen holly, is said to have the strength of coffee, the health benefits of tea, and the euphoria of chocolate. Sounds pretty perfect, right?

Traditionally, the drink is prepared in a gourd and drunk with a straw to filter out the leaves. The leaves are infused into hot water inside the gourd. However, yerba mate is very versatile and can be prepared using a tea infuser, french press, coffee maker, or espresso maker. 

But that’s not all! Yerba mate is also a symbol of friendship and hospitality. So get ready to spread the love and share this wonderful drink with your friends and fam. 

What Makes Yerba Mate SO Special?

For starters, yerba mate is loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. And I mean, seriously loaded–I’m talking 24 vitamins and minerals and 15 amino acids.  

Not only is it nutritional, yerba mate also has numerous health benefits. It helps to boost energy, improve your immune system, strengthen bones, aid in digestion and weight loss, and much, much more. 

Way Better Than Coffee

For the skeptics and die-hard coffee fans out there, I suggest putting your cup of morning joe aside and giving yerba mate a try.

Coffee addicts often gulp down cups at a time in a desperate attempt to stay awake. Although the caffeine works wonders, it can leave one feeling jittery and unsettled. Yerba mate is not acid forming like coffee, so it gives an extra boost without putting you on the edge of your seat. 

Or, if you’re like me and need to pour endless cups of sugar and milk into your coffee to try and make the drink tolerable, yerba mate is the beverage for you. It lacks the bitter taste often associated with coffee because it has lower levels of tannin. 

How To Get Your Hands on It 

How can you incorporate this new funky fresh beverage into your life? In the United States, the drink is sold in many different forms. 

One way yerba mate is packaged is in tea bags. All you need is some hot water and a thermos and you’re good to go. There are many flavors of yerba mate. There’s everything from chai to peppermint to ginger peach. 

You might also find yerba mate sold as bottled tea (cold and refreshing, mhmm). The fruity flavors, like raspberry, pomegranate, and lemon mint, are sure to quench your thirst.   

So next time you wake up craving your morning latte, rub those sleepy eyes and think again — maybe yerba mate is worth trying.

Erin O'Connor

Denison '20

Will run for donuts!!