Spoon University Logo
Modos Alyssa PM6
Modos Alyssa PM6
Lifestyle

This Easy Peppermint Mocha Recipe Beats Starbucks and Your Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at IU chapter.

Us college students need coffee like our lives depend on it. It seems like we find ourselves turning to Starbucks (and similar chains) again and again because, lets be honest — it tastes better than the homemade stuff.

Relying on Starbs isn’t always the best decision because it sure isn’t cheap. For a group of people in need of record-setting amounts of caffeine with very limited budgets, there should be a solution — a happy medium.

I figured out how to make the ultimate peppermint mocha, the one that will turn Starbucks from a daily habit to a monthly treat. This recipe is affordable, easy, and quick. I’ll take my Good Food Award now, thank you.

Peppermint Mocha

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 5 minutesCook time: 2 minutesTotal time: 7 minutesServings:1 servings

Instructions

1. Modos Alyssa PM2

Brew 1 cup of coffee. Any coffee works, so choose your vice wisely, caffeine addict. I used Starbucks’ Mocha coffee. When the coffeemaker is done brewing your happy juice, pour it into a mug.

2. Modos Alyssa PM3

Break your chocolate up into small chunks and add it to the hot mug of coffee. Any bittersweet chocolate works — I used Ghirardelli. Stir the coffee-chocolate combo until the chocolate is melty and delicious. Don’t sneak a sip — exercise that weak self control.

3. Modos Alyssa PM5

Pour 1/2 cup of milk into your mug. Any kind of milk works (cow, almond, soy, coconut), but I used whole cow’s milk. Stir that chocolatey nectar until everything is well combined.

4. Modos Alyssa PM6

Add 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Depending on how minty you like your drink, I would recommend starting with 1/2 teaspoon and adding the additional 1/2 teaspoon after tasting. Stir that bad boy again.

Lastly, add a tablespoon of honey, sugar, or artificial sweetener of your choice if the mocha isn’t sweet enough for you. If you end up pulling a Buddy the Elf and add an obscene amount of sugar, I won’t judge.

This is my New Year gift to you, Spoonies. May it last you all year and save you all the monies. 

IU Senior | Crazy Cat Mom | Small Girl, Big Dreams