Spoon University Logo
News

Bestie, Check Your Fridge For These Recalled Food Items ASAP

In 2015, Chipotle temporarily closed 43 restaurant locations due to an E. coli outbreak. The chain faced a drop in share value, and customers lost trust in the brand. In fact, the outbreak caused “the most challenging period in Chipotle’s history,” according to a press release. Chipotle later had a similar foodborne illness occurrence in 2018 in one of their stores. It took years for the chain to regain consumer trust.

Although Chipotle may be in the clear now, food recalls at other restaurants haven’t stopped. In fact, this past month alone, recalls are arising across countless brands, products, and locations. Over the summer, Boar’s Head and other deli brands recalled over seven million pounds of meat for testing positive with Listeria. This week, outbreaks have been reported by the FDA and CDC. So, how do you navigate the food world amidst all these food recalls? 

What are food recalls? 

“A food recall occurs when a food producer takes a product off the market because there is reason to believe that it may cause consumers to become ill,” according to FoodSafety.gov. “In some situations, government agencies may request or require a food recall.”

There are several reasons why products may be recalled. Though many recent recalls have been organism-related (like discovering bacteria or parasites), food items can also be recalled for foreign objects or mislabeling. However, food isn’t the only thing that gets recalled — any product that puts consumer safety at risk can be pulled off the shelves. Even cars are subject to recalls for faulty parts. 

Consumers should stay aware of recalls and other public health alerts. Note that all details must match for a product to be considered part of a recall. If a factor like the date, the brand, or the product differs from the announcement, your product is likely not included in the recall. 

What outbreaks should I know about right now?

Though there are other outbreaks under investigation, here are just a few you should know about: 

McDonald’s Quarter Pounders

At least 49 people have gotten sick from the recent McDonald’s E. coli outbreak. McDonald’s has pulled ingredients from the burgers and investigators are working to find which ingredient is contaminated, although the source is unknown, according to the CDC. The CDC also estimates that the number of infected individuals is much higher than the reported 49, as E. coli can take several weeks to cause symptoms and many customers likely recovered without medical intervention.  

TreeHouse Foods Waffle and Pancake Products 

According to a press release, dozens of TreeHouse Foods brand waffle and pancake products are being pulled off the shelves at stores like Target, Walmart, and Kroger due to a Listeria outbreak. TreeHouse Foods says lot codes and best-by dates are the best way to determine whether a product is included in the recall. The complete list of recalled products can be found in the press release

Church Brothers Farms Green Onions

According to the FDA, Church Brothers Farms recalled over 1,200 cases of green onions because of possible Salmonella exposure. Some of the cases ended up in beloved grocery stores like Trader Joe’s. Church Brothers LLC reported the contamination and worked with clients as soon as possible to pull the recalled items off shelves, reported the FDA. 

BrucePac Ready-To-Eat Meat & Poultry

Over 11 million pounds of ready-to-eat meat and poultry were recalled in early October and has since been expanded. The contaminated meats made into products at retailers including Walmart, Target, Kroger, Aldi, Costco, and more. See the all products included in the recall in the FSIS report

Although the recent outbreaks may sound scary, recalls are in place to keep consumers safe. Remember that the average American eats nearly 2,000 pounds a food a year, and only a fraction of food produced gets recalled. If you have questions about recalls and outbreaks, contact the AskUSDA.gov hotline during business hours for live-chat help.

Emma is member of the Spoon University National Writers Program. She enjoys writing about anything and everything from food trends on social media to the latest fast food drop.  Outside of Spoon U, Emma is a senior Communication and Media Studies major at Pace University. There, she is the president of Her Campus at Pace and a writer for the school paper, the Pace Press. Emma is also an honors college student who will be completing her senior thesis in the coming year. She is graduating a year early in May of 2025.  In her free time, Emma can frequently be found cafe-hopping around NYC on the hunt for the best oat milk cappuccino. She loves to try new ice cream places and is always happy to lay back, watch a movie, and eat some good Chinese food. Most of all, Emma loves a good charcuterie spread (because who doesn't), and her dream job would be professional cheese pairing.