Spoon University Logo
News

This Organization Will Bring You Pizza While You Wait In Line To Vote

Whether you’ve already gotten your absentee ballot in the mail or are gearing up to head to your local polling station on Election Day, Tuesday, November 5, it is vital that you get out to make your voice heard. Not only will you be voting for America’s next President, you’ll be shaping your communities on the local and state level. Basically, voting is sexy. But sometimes, it can be a little boring if you’re stuck in long lines waiting your turn. Enter Pizza To The Polls, the non-partisan organization making your trip to the voting booth even better.

Created in 2016 in response to long voting lines before and on Election Day, this nonprofit public charity raises money to send pizza and snacks to those waiting in hour-plus lines, polling staff, children of voters, and everyone else involved in the democratic process. It not only made the wait more fun, but it kept everyone’s spirits up, and genuinely made the whole process easier. This is utterly iconic, if you ask me. Of course, this initiative has only grown since its inception. Pizza To The Polls also showed up and showed out at COVID-19 vaccination sites and is involved in providing pizza and snacks at voter registration events and other civic engagement activities.

How do I get Pizza To The Polls to come to my polling station?

You may be wondering how it works and it couldn’t be easier. Pizza To The Polls can arrive to a polling place in one of two ways: via their food truck or with a local delivery service. All you have to do is head to the Pizza To The Polls website and enter in some info. This includes your address, name, role at the polling location (EX: voter, poll worker, etc.), estimated voting wait time, and a photo of your line. From there, a Pizza To The Polls volunteer will either dispatch their food truck in major cities, or they will contact a delivery service to send food and drinks your way. Frankly, a good slice of pepperoni pizza can turn around any day.

Not only does the organization encourage people to participate in democracy, they also often use Slice to find local pizza places to deliver to the polls. We love supporting our fave small business pizza makers. (Of course, they also order from big chains when convenient, too.)

How can I help Pizza To The Polls during this election cycle?

You can always donate money to their official website. Any amount of money helps Pizza To The Polls’ mission of educating individuals about America’s institutions, civic duties, and opportunities as well as increasing voter turnout. Share a slice with your fellow voters here.

Have more questions about voting? We’ve got you covered. Check out our comprehensive guide, How To Actually Vote, right here. You got this, besties!

Editor Girlie, beverage goblin