Spoon University Logo
News

The Lunchly Mold Controversy, Explained

If you are chronically online, like most of us are, then you’ve definitely heard of Lunchly. Created by YouTubers KSI, Logan Paul, and MrBeast, Lunchly is meant to be similar to a Lunchable: an on-the-go, ready-made meal for lunch, primarily for kids. It comes in three variations: “The Pizza,” Fiesta Nachos, and Turkey Stack ‘Ems. Each Lunchly even comes with a Feastable, which is MrBeast’s chocolate snack creation, as well as Logan Paul and KSI’s PRIME energy drink. But according to many customers, Lunchly comes with another secret component: mold. 

Who has found mold in their Lunchly?

A better question would be who hasn’t found mold in their Lunchly. Many Lunchly consumers took to X to show off the mold scattered in their Lunchly, specifically in the shredded cheese that’s supposed to go on their pizza. Pictures show sections of the shredded cheese plagued with a greenish-black color, indicating mold.

Popular cooking vlogger Rosanna Pansino took to YouTube to compare the classic Lunchables with the new Lunchly, but wasn’t prepared to open her “The Pizza” Lunchly to find green, molded cheese. Her Lunchly had spoiled three months early — the use by date stated that the Lunchly would be good until December 8, 2024, but on October 16, her cheese was already molded.

What is the internet’s reaction?

Despite some defense from loyal KSI, MrBeast, and Logan Paul fans, a majority of the Internet is appalled, disgusted, and demanding action from the brand and its creators. Some have even called for its recall, claiming that the product is not suited for sale. Pansino herself said that Lunchly’s are not safe, especially for the young children they’re marketed to, as they wouldn’t be able to tell that they’re consuming mold. 

Some defenders of the YouTuber-created lunch are using the real ingredient argument: Lunchly uses real cheese, unlike other brands like Lunchables, which makes the product more authentic and healthy. However, using real cheese also means that it will spoil faster, especially if not refrigerated. Removing the preservatives, combined with ineffective packaging and non-refrigeration, is a recipe for mold.

@clearlynews

Replying to @m4ge.1 More mold found in Lunchly #lunchly #feastables #news

♬ original sound – Eric Howell

Have the creators of Lunchly made a statement?

MrBeast, KSI, Logan Paul, and the brand itself have all not made an official statement about the situation. The official Lunchly TikTok account actually posted a video seemingly dissing Lunchables for using fake cheese. In the video, Logan Paul states that he likes his “cheese drippy,” while dipping a chip into a Lunchly cheese dip. Hopefully, there was no mold in it!

Amanda Brucculeri is the fall editorial intern for Spoon University, where she covers food news and emerging trends. Beyond Spoon University, Amanda works as the podcast editor for Boston University News Service, where she oversees a team of reporters covering news through audio. She also writes for the city column of The Buzz Magazine, and is the host of a true crime radio show on WTBU student radio. She is currently a junior at Boston University, majoring in journalism with a minor in public relations. In her free time, she enjoys curating playlists, trying new restaurants, and watching movies.