Spoon University Logo
EDIT Copy of BLANK SU Hero Image Backgrounds 8?width=734&height=489&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
EDIT Copy of BLANK SU Hero Image Backgrounds 8?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
Lifestyle

How Is Candy Corn Made?

According to the National Confectioners Association, 51% of Americans think the right way to eat a piece of candy corn is all in one bite, while 33% believe that you have to nibble off the narrow white end first. The remaining 16% eat the wider yellow bottom first. Regardless of how you enjoy your candy corn, it’s easy to say that it’s a Halloween staple. But how exactly does it reach shelves year after year? 

When did candy corn originate? 

Though the exact year is iffy, candy corn originated around 1880. At the time, the candy industry was already producing the other produce-shaped candies like pumpkins and turnips, but the three color striped pattern of the candy corn is what made it revolutionary

Although pumpkins, turnips, and corn may seem random, it was actually just intentional marketing. Farmers made up about half of the American workforce at the time, so companies naturally marketed the agriculture themed treat — originally called “Chicken Feed” — to farm children year round. 

However, the candy didn’t become a Halloween staple until the 1950s after World War II sugar rations were lifted. 

How is candy corn made? 

Unlike many other goods today, candy corn is actually produced quite similarly to when it was first created. The process starts by mixing ingredients like fondant, water, and marshmallow together and then adding the respective coloring. 

Then it’s time to pour the mixture into the molds. When candy corn first originated, candy makers would walk up and down the rows of molds three times (one for each color) with buckets called “runners,” pouring the mixture as they went. Now, machinery does the majority of the heavy lifting. The candies sit for 24 hours to harden before they are dumped out and sent to packaging. 

How much candy corn is made every year? 

Around 35 million pounds (or nine billion kernels) of candy corn are produced each year, Susan Whiteside of the National Confectioners Association told Vox. For comparison, the world’s largest cargo plane, the Antonov An-225 Mriya, weighs just over one million pounds.

Wait… there are different kinds of candy corn? 

Yes, there are tons of types of candy corn! In the fall there’s the classic tri-color candy corn and the pumpkins; in the winter there is red, white, and green festive candy corn for christmas; in the spring there is pastel candy corn for Easter; and there are even specialty flavors like chocolate candy corn! According to the National Confectioners Association’s blog Always a Treat, some wackier flavors like stuffing and hot dog have even been created in recent years. When it comes to candy corn, the possibilities are endless.

Emma is member of the Spoon University National Writers Program. She enjoys writing about anything and everything from food trends on social media to the latest fast food drop.  Outside of Spoon U, Emma is a senior Communication and Media Studies major at Pace University. There, she is the president of Her Campus at Pace and a writer for the school paper, the Pace Press. Emma is also an honors college student who will be completing her senior thesis in the coming year. She is graduating a year early in May of 2025.  In her free time, Emma can frequently be found cafe-hopping around NYC on the hunt for the best oat milk cappuccino. She loves to try new ice cream places and is always happy to lay back, watch a movie, and eat some good Chinese food. Most of all, Emma loves a good charcuterie spread (because who doesn't), and her dream job would be professional cheese pairing.