Spoon University Logo
Mcdonaldsfries
Mcdonaldsfries
Alex Frank / Spoon
Reviews

Ranking Popular Fast Food Fries

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at UGA chapter.

Many of my friends are self-declared foodies, so hearing their perspectives on popular foods we love is always interesting. One topic that sparks strong debate is opinions on the best fries in fast food. Each chain has its iterations of this beloved side, so I’ve decided to rank the most popular fries and settle the score. Please note, that I did not include restaurants that I do not usually eat at. 

7. Five Guys

At the bottom of the ranking we have the beloved Five Guys. I feel like many people will be shocked by this decision, based on the large portion sizes alone. However, I just don’t like how Five Guys cut their fries, as oftentimes I am left with fries that don’t hold much potato. I really like the cajun seasoning option, but unfortunately I cannot rank these fries any higher.

6. Shake Shack

I generally like crinkle fries, but I honestly don’t think Shake Shack does them well. I think the texture is a bit too hard, and I don’t think the fries stay fresh for very long. Shake Shack does burgers and milkshakes really well, but I’m not a fan of their fries.

5. Wendy’s

I don’t dislike Wendy’s fries, but I just don’t think they compare to the other options higher in this ranking. The fries are often less crunchy than fries like McDonald’s but have an excellent sweet and salty combo. I think Wendy’s fries are good, but nothing particularly special.

4. McDonalds

There’s a timeless element to the iconic McDonald fry. The signature thin, golden and crispy texture is extremely savory and a staple in fast food culture. I notice how these fries are usually crispy longer than most chains, and I think that’s what I like about them the most.

3. Popeyes

I love the cajun-seasoned fries, as the spices provide a savory kick to its flavor. Popeyes have really good fries, and I don’t think there’s much to note. The only reason why it isn’t higher on this list is because I like the next two options a bit better.

2. Zaxbys

Zaxby’s does the crinkle-cut style of fry the best out of its peers. The crips outer layer and soft, flurry interior make this fry perfection. These fries are generally thicker than most other fast-food fries, giving you more for your bite versus skinnier fries that require you to eat more. Zaxby’s offers a more substantial, savory bite which puts it at #2.

1. Chick Fil A

Without a doubt, Chick-fil-A has the best fries in all of fast food. The distinctive waffle cut is extremely crispy and tender. The light seasoning of sea salt brings out a distinct and natural potato flavor. The texture is perfect for dipping, and their thicker shape allows them to hold up easy. I think the biggest strength of these fries is that they are such a good vessel for chicken and sauces. Chick-fil-A is the gold standard of fast food fry.

Here’s my official ranking of fast food fries. Agree? Disagree? Think you have a better ranking than me? Let’s work it out in the comment section below!

Official Ranking:

7.Five Guys

6.Shake Shack

5.Wendys

4.McDonalds

3.Popeyes

2.Zaxbys

1.Chick Fil A

I am a dedicated student at the University of Georgia, pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Public Relations with minors in Business and Consumer Economics. My interdisciplinary education has provided me with a robust understanding of communication, business dynamics, and consumer behavior, equipping me to approach strategic communication with both depth and innovation. Diversity is not just a value but a driving force behind my work. I am deeply committed to integrating diverse perspectives into communications strategies to ensure they are inclusive and impactful. This commitment informs my approach to strategic communication, relationship building, and brand growth, ensuring that every campaign and initiative resonates with a wide range of audiences. Through my major in Public Relations and my insights from Business and Consumer Economics, I have developed a keen ability to assess market dynamics and identify opportunities for inclusive growth. I strive to create strategies that not only align with organizational objectives but also champion diversity and foster an environment where diverse voices are valued.