Spoon University Logo
Lifestyle

Tips On How To Hack Your Way Into A Costco Without A Membership

Growing up as a kid, my family always had a list of the essential grocery store stops we’d have to make to grab our weekly necessities. This meant that for me, a typical Saturday consisted of trips to BJ’s, Market Basket, and occasionally Stop & Shop. My parents only purchased a Costco membership a couple of years ago, and it was truly life-changing. You’re telling me that I can go to the food court after an afternoon of shopping and purchase a hot dog and drink combo for only $1.50? Or a staple slice of pepperoni pizza for only $1.99? Don’t even get me started on the churros (if you know, you know). Aside from their food court options, Costco has taken social media by storm by becoming the main spot for buying in bulk, fresh produce, snacks, clothing, and even toys and holiday decorations. Its deals on fresh and frozen food, kitchen supplies, bakery items, and more, are even more delicious. But to get the ideal Costco experience, you need the golden ticket item, a Costco card. So what happens if you don’t have one? Well, I’m here to tell you some ways you can hack your way into a Costco trip without a membership, giving you all the perks without paying the price. 

Hack #1: Use a Costco ‘Shop Card.’

Walking into Costco is like walking into a new world of deals and steals. Now while you might feel out of luck without a membership, this first hack is going to help you unlock a new realm of grocery shopping without the fees.

Usually when walking into a Costco, a worker stands by the door as everyone heads in and asks you to hold up your membership card. But another thing you can use to get into the store is Costco’s version of a gift card, which is the brand’s “Shop Card.” This will get you a ticket into the store and allow you to shop the whole assortment of items that Costco has in store. 

This gift card can only be bought by members, so if you have family or friends who have a membership it won’t be bad to give them a hint that this might be an item on your next holiday wishlist.

Hack #2: Find a member, and be their guest.

According to Costco’s general store policies, members are allowed to enter into a Costco facility with up to two guests. So if you know someone who has a membership, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to tag along on their weekly grocery run to get your taste of the Costco experience.

There is a flaw within this hack because technically only members are able to make purchases at the store. But if you’re joining a close friend or family member, I’d suggest picking out your favorite items and working out the numbers later through Venmo.

Hack #3: Shop Costco with Instacart.

Platforms like Instacart offer customers the convenience of being able to have their favorite items at their doorstep, with just the push of a button. From candy, flowers, office supplies and even technology, the options are endless. But who knew it could even help you get Costco delivered right to the comfort of your own home?

You probably think this sounds too good to be true, but trust me it’s not. When accessing the Instacart app or online browser, you can create an account or login to an existing one, and search up Costco in the browser. Pick from a wide assortment of grocery items and get ready to place it in your cart for purchase (without a membership of course).

It is important to know that with this hack, there are some Costco items on Instacart that are categorized as ‘members only.’ Most of the time this pertains to the in-store deals on an assortment of electronic devices. But, if you’re just looking to grab your favorite snacks, produce and more, then this is the hack for you.

Juliana is a writer for Spoon University's National Writers Program. She reports on all things food and any new foodie trends circulating social media. Before joining Spoon University, Juliana was a staff writer for her university's student-run newspaper, the Suffolk Journal, when she was attending Suffolk University in the heart of Boston. She wrote a variety of articles that covered Arts, campus life, student clubs, and News. She is going to be a junior at Endicott College in the fall with a major in Journalism. Juliana loves going on walks, working out, hanging out with family and friends, and watching her favorite TV shows in her spare time. Some of her favorite foods come from recipes rooted in her family's Portuguese culture.