Spoon University Logo

Some TikTok users claim that McDonald’s is lessening their migraine symptoms. Lifestyle content creator Kellcee McSwain, otherwise known by her TikTok handle @kellceemcswain, called it her “ultimate migraine meal,” and the ingredients couldn’t be more simple: a soda and a side of fries. 

While advocates for the “migraine meal” aren’t arguing that a McDonald’s meal is a legitimate form of medication, the general consensus is that when all else fails, the “migraine meal” is a relatively successful (and tasty) last-ditch effort. One TikTok user named Destiny Rivera, otherwise known by the handle @destiny.rivera, said in a video that for her, the combination “helps a migraine go away in minutes.”

@destiny.rivera

Migraine relief from the salt & caffeine! Especially when the medicine isn’t working and I feel that migraine attack coming #chronicmigraine #migraine #migrainerelief

♬ オリジナル楽曲 – (14)☆彡.。 – 🩷⠀

Can McDonald’s cure a migraine?

User Meg Mindlin, also known as @invertebabe, said in a  TikTok that she thinks the reason the “migraine meal” alleviates her symptoms is from the salt, carbohydrates, caffeine, and sugar in the meal — and she might be correct. 

Caffeine may be partially responsible for the success of the “migraine meal.” A 12-ounce can of Coca-Cola contains 34 milligrams of caffeine — that’s about ⅓ the amount of caffeine in an 8-ounce cup of coffee. While some studies show that excessive caffeine intake may trigger symptoms, others state that caffeine may be an effective treatment method for acute migraines. 

@invertebabe

I normally really hate peoples “have you tried this” when they find out I get migraines. But MAN the McMigraine is real. Other hacks? Debateable. #migrainerelief #migraines #fypp #foryou

♬ Mamushi (feat. Yuki Chiba) – Megan Thee Stallion

One older peer reviewed study in the JAMA Neurology journal found that caffeine, when paired with over-the-counter drugs like aspirin, was successful in reducing symptoms including “headache pain as well as for alleviating the nausea, photophobia, phonophobia, and functional disability associated with migraine attacks,” the researchers wrote. In fact, many migraine medicines themselves contain traces of caffeine. 

Likewise, the salt from the French fries may also help alleviate migraine symptoms, although many studies suggest that it might be because of sodium withdrawals. One peer-reviewed study in the Medical Sciences journal suggests that the temporary relief sodium consumption provides may just be a part of a loop. In short: the more processed food you eat, the more sodium your body wants, so any salty snack you have (“migraine meal” or otherwise) will meet that need and thus quell withdrawal symptoms like headaches.

Caffeine and sodium science aside, it could just be that McDonald’s is plain delicious.

“There’s no definitive evidence,” Margaret Slavin, PhD, RDN, and associate professor in the Department of Nutrition and Food Science at the University of Maryland told Migraine Again. “but there are some small studies and animal studies in the scientific literature that indicate that eating food (and especially hedonic, ‘pleasurable’ foods) may be associated with reduced pain perception, and fasting may be associated with enhanced pain perception.”

The “migraine meal” may not actually be the best option.

Although the McDonald’s meal may have worked for some, others were still plagued by symptoms. TikTok user @migrainediaries posted a video saying the hack was “worth a shot,” but unfortunately still suffered from a migraine after consumption. 

Celine Beitchman, Director of Nutrition at the Institute of Culinary Education’s New York City campus, shed some light on the “migraine meal” for Spoon University. 

“I can only speculate that for someone whose migraine is relieved by caffeine, i.e. cola, or by eating calories, i.e. fries, or by replenishing nutrients like sodium, i.e. salty fries and ketchup, to the body, the meal might provide temporary relief,” she told Spoon University in an email. “I’m not sure that it’s a reliable treatment.”

For a long term remedy, migraine sufferers should consult their healthcare providers and discuss a treatment plan. Beitchman also said that people who suffer from chronic conditions like migraines should investigate their personal triggers.

“You can’t forget that your overall lifestyle is part of how and what you eat,” she wrote. “Along with aiming for a balanced diet, try to space out your meals at regular intervals, get good sleep — seven to eight hours a night — and look for ways to reduce stress.”

Emma is member of the Spoon University National Writers Program. She enjoys writing about anything and everything from food trends on social media to the latest fast food drop.  Outside of Spoon U, Emma is a senior Communication and Media Studies major at Pace University. There, she is the president of Her Campus at Pace and a writer for the school paper, the Pace Press. Emma is also an honors college student who will be completing her senior thesis in the coming year. She is graduating a year early in May of 2025.  In her free time, Emma can frequently be found cafe-hopping around NYC on the hunt for the best oat milk cappuccino. She loves to try new ice cream places and is always happy to lay back, watch a movie, and eat some good Chinese food. Most of all, Emma loves a good charcuterie spread (because who doesn't), and her dream job would be professional cheese pairing.