Spoon University Logo
taco bell omar apollo hot sauce
taco bell omar apollo hot sauce
Photos by Taco Bell
News

Taco Bell Is Releasing A New Hot Sauce Inspired by Omar Apollo’s Family Recipe

Taco Bell is a staple when it comes to Mexican-inspired fast food. From Crunchwraps to Nacho Fries, Taco Bell is constantly putting out creative new meals. And it doesn’t stop at food menu items — Taco Bell is also a leader in the fast food world when it comes to sauces, specifically hot sauces. Even if you don’t love super spicy sauces, there’s a sauce for everyone, ranging from its tamest one, the avocado verde salsa, to its most blazing, the diablo sauce. And in between, there’s mild, hot and fire. But this week, a new sauce is hitting menus — Disha Hot by Omar Apollo.

What is Disha Hot Sauce?

First off, this isn’t just any other old addition to the Taco Bell menu. It’s inspired by singer-songwriter Omar Apollo, whose mother developed the secret hot sauce recipe behind Disha Hot. The sauce became a staple in their house, and his mother would make it every Sunday. Apollo and his siblings would always request it for special occasion meals, such as birthdays. That just shows how delicious this new sauce is.

“Partnering with Taco Bell is incredibly important to me because it allows me to honor my Mexican heritage and give thanks to my mom’s constant love and support by sharing her Disha Hot Sauce recipe with a larger audience,” Apollo told Food & Wine. 

The sauce includes flavors from roasted tomatillos, white vinegar, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and lime juice. Of course, there’s also some secret family spices, but Apollo isn’t just going to reveal that. It’s a secret recipe for a reason.

You can’t just eat the Disha Hot Sauce on its own though. Luckily, Taco Bell has announced a new addition to its menu — the Disha Hot Discovery Box. The box includes a Cheesy Gordita Crunch, a Doritos Locos Taco, a Crunchy Taco, chips and nacho cheese, and a medium fountain drink, plus three Disha Hot Sauce packets. You can also purchase the sauce on its own for .20 cents a packet to add to your favorite menu items. I’ll be eating mine with a Crunchwrap. 

The collaboration doesn’t just stop at food. Apollo and Taco Bell teamed up to create a limited-edition Taco Bell x Disha Hot liquid-infused vinyl of Apollo’s latest album, “God Said No.” The vinyl will be available to Taco Bell Rewards Members via the Taco Bell app starting September 24. There’s a limited amount, so act quick.

When will the Disha Hot Sauce be available?

If you’re a Taco Bell Rewards Member, you’re in luck, because you get early access to the new Disha Hot Sauce. Rewards Members can purchase the sauce starting Tuesday, September 24. But don’t worry if you’re not a member — everyone else can get their hands on it on Thursday, September 26. 

Amanda Brucculeri is the fall editorial intern for Spoon University, where she covers food news and emerging trends. Beyond Spoon University, Amanda works as the podcast editor for Boston University News Service, where she oversees a team of reporters covering news through audio. She also writes for the city column of The Buzz Magazine, and is the host of a true crime radio show on WTBU student radio. She is currently a junior at Boston University, majoring in journalism with a minor in public relations. In her free time, she enjoys curating playlists, trying new restaurants, and watching movies.