Spoon University Logo
News

AMC Theatres’ Viral Beetlejuice Cocktail Supposedly Costs $31

Almost every visitor to a movie theater accompanies their trip with popcorn and a drink of some sort, whether it be a bubbling soda or just water. But what if the drink costs more than the ticket itself? With this specialty cocktail, that happens to be the case.

AMC Theatres is selling a Sandworm Slayer cocktail in honor of the movie Beetlejuice Beetlejuice that was released in theaters on September 6. However, the drink has gone viral, as several buyers have claimed the Beetlejuice cocktail is priced between $21 and $31. I don’t know about you, but I’m not sure that fits into my college budget. 

What is a Sandworm Slayer and where is it available?

The AMC website said the cocktail has a blue and black raspberry flavor, “mixed with premium vodka and sprinkled with sour candy worms.” Only available at screenings of Beetlejuice Beetlejuice at AMC Theatres, the cocktail honors “the ghost with the most,” the AMC website adds. 

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is the highly anticipated sequel to the 1988 film Beetlejuice, with several nods to the original film, including returning cast members. Featuring Winona Ryder, Catherine O’Hara, Jenna Ortega, and Michael Keaton, this star studded cast has garnered excitement and anticipation after so many years between the first movie and the new sequel. 

The sequel follows Lydia and her teenage daughter Astrid after Astrid accidentally opens a portal to the afterlife, bringing the ghost Beetlejuice back into the lives of the Deetz family, according to IMDb

So, what’s all the fuss about?

Movie theaters are known for their overpriced snacking goodies, but many social media users thought the price of the spooky cocktail took it too far. 

One X user, Andrew Woods, went viral for his post about the drink.

“I bought the AMC BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE themed drink,” Woods wrote on the post that has close to seven million views. “It cost $31 dollars…” 

One user commented, “$31 for a little bit of vodka and some gummy worms would make me hate the movie,” and another wrote, “This is why people don’t go to the movies anymore.”

However, there is supposedly a method to the madness. AMC told The Hollywood Reporter that the usual price for the cocktail is $21 — at 92% of locations, to be exact. Although $21 isn’t exactly cheap, you’re completely out of luck if you happen to be seeing the film at the other 8% of AMC locations. 

If you don’t have the funds for the “Sandstorm Slayer,” People reported that AMC is also selling other collectibles to promote the film, “including black and white-striped popcorn buckets, reusable soda cups, and a ‘Recently Deceased Book’ snack holder.” 

So grab your friends, hop in the car, and make your way to the movie theater to see Beetlejuice Beetlejuice. (With or without this pricey drink in hand, we won’t judge you either way.)

Amanda Sinofsky

Maryland '27

Amanda Sinofsky is a contributing writer for the Spoon University National Writers Program. She is a second year undergraduate student at the University of Maryland's Philip Merrill College of Journalism pursuing a double major in Journalism and English with a Media Studies focus. She is from a New Jersey suburb 25 minutes outside of Philadelphia. At UMD, she is a copy editor for The Diamondback, the university's student run newspaper, and is the music & arts editor for The Campus Trainer, an online lifestyle magazine at the university. In her free time, Amanda is a part of a student run dance company and enjoys reading, listening to music (anything Taylor Swift), and spending time with her friends. www.linkedin.com/in/amanda-sinofsky