Spoon University Logo
Lifestyle

Cottage Core Fans — The Legendary Lenox Spice Village Collection Is Returning

Let’s face it. When we’re away from home and living in the dorm, getting comfortable isn’t always the easiest. On top of adapting to a new way of life, we’re also trying to make the space feel like ourselves. Sometimes making the space feel like you include giving the kitchen decor a bit of a makeover. If you’re like me, you probably keep your eyes peeled regularly for satisfying vintage decor that will get your kitchen feeling welcoming and cozy. With the vintage and cottage core aesthetics continuing to make a splash in fashion and home decor, we have the best recommendation for you.

Wait. What is the Lenox Spice Village Collection?

If we take a deep dive into Lenox’s About Us page on its website, you’ll see that the brand was founded in 1889 by Walter Scott Lenox as the Ceramic Art Company. Lenox was the first American china used by presidents in the White House. Presidents who have had pieces commissioned include Woodrow Wilson in 1918, Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1934, Harry S. Truman in 1951, Ronald Reagan in 1981, Bill Clinton in 2000, and George W. Bush in 2008.

Everyone knows that spices make the world go round, and now there’s a cute way to display them! World renowned brand, Lenox, is bringing back its 24-jar Spice Village collection. For those who aren’t familiar with the lore, Lenox originally released this collection in 1989 and sadly discontinued it in 1993. 

@afea1121

LENOX FINALLY RELEASED THE NEW SPICE VILLAGE SETS FOR PREORDER….ITS HAPPENING #lenoxspicevillage

♬ original sound – afea1121

According to Eater, the Spice Village hype returned in 2022 during the pandemic, thanks to TikTok. One shopper found the entire set at a thrift store and shared the experience in a video that garnered over 6 million views. We can also thank the cottage core aesthetic, which has skyrocketed in popularity in the last few years, leading this jar set to increase in value by hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on Ebay. Since then, people have been on the hunt to complete their own personal sets.

How can I buy the Lenox Spice Village Collection?

@lenox1889

How do you build a village? With a pinch of salt, a dash of pepper, and the Spice Village 2nd Edition of course! 🤩🏠 Head to the link in bio and sign up to be the first to know about all things Spice Village! 💌✨ #lenoxspicevillage #spicevillage #lovemylenox #lenox

♬ Summer Sun – Andrew Jordan

Thanks to customer uproar, Lenox has the Spice Village set officially up for pre-order on its website. You can get those little houses for everyday spices like basil and pepper, or even key pumpkin spice ingredients like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.  The whole entire set is retailing for $285, just as it did in 1989, but don’t fret! If you’re simply just trying to complete your collection, they also have the individual jars up for pre-order for $15 and sets of six for $72. Individual jars and sets of six aren’t expected to ship until at the earliest, late February 2025, and at the latest, May 2025. The full sets won’t be shipped out until September 2025. With no info regarding the possibility of a display rack, it looks like you’ll have plenty of time to thrift for one while waiting for these beauties to arrive at your home!

Nadi Meyer

George Mason '25

Nadi Meyer is part of the National Writer program at Spoon University. They focus on food trends for humans and even dogs. Their end goal is to one day work for a nonprofit organization like The Asher House or The Trevor Project. Beyond Spoon University, Nadi has seven years of retail experience, ranging from being a cashier at a grocery store to even being the assistant manager at one of the popular video game store franchises. They graduated from Brightpoint Community College in August 2022 with an Associate’s degree in General Studies and is currently working on their Bachelor’s degree in Communications with a focus in Media Production and Criticism as an online student at George Mason University. Before pursuing their higher education, from their sophomore to senior year, Nadi was helping rebuild the journalism program at Thomas Dale High School, graduating in 2017 with an Advanced Diploma. In their free time, Nadi is often hanging out with their newly adopted, 9-year-old rescue dog, Tiger, or playing Stardew Valley on their Nintendo Switch. They are an avid collector of retro video games including Gameboy, GameCube, Nintendo DS and 3DS. They hope to eventually invest in a PSP and a PS Vita.