Sometimes, you just can’t make a pie. Actually, most of the time you can’t make a pie. It simply isn’t feasible in campus dorms or small, food-processor-lacking apartment kitchens. They’re too laborious to make, are difficult to sell at bake sales and will likely elicit some judgment if you bust some out during a late night library session. Still, just because you can’t make an apple pie doesn’t mean you can’t get your baked goods fix. These bars have a generous apple-to-batter ratio, ensuring each bite is full of that buttery dough and apple flavor combo that makes the classic apple pie so popular. Even better, they only require one bowl and one pan to make. Once they’re cool, you can enjoy these treats immediately or pack them away for a sweet snack later on.

Medium

Servings: 20 bars

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 5-10 minutes

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 small apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add this dry mixture to the melted butter mixture and stir to incorporate.

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Photo by Kendra Valkema

5. Mix in apple chunks and walnuts.

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Photo by Kendra Valkema

6. Pour the batter in a 9×13 baking pan that has been greased and floured. See this post on how to grease and flour a baking pan (steps 2-4). It’s a great method to make any pan non-stick.

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Photo by Kendra Valkema

7. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top has cracked and a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out with just a few crumbs.
8. Cool completely before cutting into bars.