Let’s face it—we’ve all had wine from a box before. But no fear, Spoon is here to steer you clear of wines that leave you with a cardboard aftertaste. We took a trip to WineStyles, Evanston’s wine and accessory shop, to find out what cheap but chic wines their experts suggest for Northwestern students.

WHITES

1. Tabalí
THE EXPERT SAYS: On the nose, expect a combination of lime, pepper and apple aromas. The palate brings flavors of sharp, crisp green apple with a long finish of citrus notes.
WHERE IT’S FROM: Limari Valley, Chile
WHAT IT COSTS: $16.99
TRY IT WITH: Cajun-seasoned chicken.

2. Scala
THE EXPERT SAYS: Scala is a medium-bodied Chardonnay with hints of salt, apricot, pear and a trace of vanilla.
WHERE IT’S FROM: Veneto, Italy
WHAT IT COSTS: $14.99
TRY IT WITH: Pork chops.

3. Clayhouse
THE EXPERT SAYS: Clayhouse is a Sauvignon Blanc from the Central coast with flavors of orange blossom, pineapple, lemon grass, peach and hints of guava.
WHERE IT’S FROM: Paso Robles, California
WHAT IT COSTS: $17.99
TRY IT WITH: Pasta with cream-sauce.

REDS

4. De Morgenzon
THE EXPERT SAYS: On the nose, expect aromas of berry, plum and floral notes. These carry into the palate, joined with flavors of vanilla, spice and white pepper.
WHERE IT’S FROM: Stellenbosch, South Africa
WHAT IT COSTS: $16.99
TRY IT WITH: Fatty meats.

5. De Bortoli
THE EXPERT SAYS: On the palate expect intense fruity flavors enhanced by hints of toasty oak, and be ready for the rich mocha characters, caramel and dark fruits that fill the nose.
WHERE IT’S FROM: Australia
WHAT IT COSTS: $14.99
TRY IT WITH: Chocolate.

6. M. LaPierre
THE EXPERT SAYS: Aromas of berry and hints of cedar fill the nose. The taste palate is filled with luscious, mature fruit flavors. The finish is fruity and refreshing.
WHERE IT’S FROM: Vin de Pays, France
WHAT IT COSTS: $14.99
TRY IT WITH: Brie, or a similarly strong cheese.

TIP: If you’re having friends over, have each person chip in $10 and take advantage of WineStyles’ 6 for $60 deal, where you can pick any six wines from a selection of over 100!