Hidden on a small street in the Tenderloin District of San Francisco, Mr. Holmes Bakehouse is dishing out some of the most desirable pastries in the world – the infamous cruffins. So what are cruffins and what makes them worth waking up at six in the morning for?

Mr. Holmes Bakehouse

Photo courtesy of @hrholmesbakehouse on Instagram

Cruffins are hybrids between a muffin and a croissant – having the shape of a muffin but being made with croissant dough. These delectable creations are dusted with sugar and filled with various fillings, depending on the flavor of the day.

Each day, Mr. Holmes Bakehouse has a unique center for their cruffins. In the past, some interesting flavors have included matcha green tea, key lime pie, s’mores, and honeycomb. Their daily specials are updated each week and are posted on their Instagram, for those who are serious about catching their dream cruffin flavor.

Mr. Holmes Bakehouse

Due to limited supplies and high demand, each person is allowed to purchase up to two cruffins. The best way to ensure you get your hands on these coveted treats is arriving 40 minutes before they come out of the oven.

Mr. Holmes Bakehouse

The bakery opens at 8:00 am and the cruffins don’t begin to sell until 9:00 am, but a special line for customers who are serious about getting their cruffin fix starts to form around 8:20 am. One of the best parts about these early pastry-runs at Mr. Holmes is ensured, free parking since no one, besides cruffin-seekers, is around so early in the morning.

Mr. Holmes Bakehouse

If you hit the snooze button on your phone and sleep past the time for these baked delights, be sure to try their other pastries as well. Some other popular treats include their California croissant, a savory croissant that resembles sushi with its nori and salmon filling, and their donuts, which are also stuffed with different fillings each day.

Mr. Holmes Bakehouse

Photo courtesy of @sora_pak on Instagram