After a long night out, I can almost guarantee that I will wake up with an intense craving for eggs. For that reason, whether I go to Pigeon Hole or stop in Bodo’s quickly on my way to the library, I am a regular on the brunch scene.

While I certainly have gotten into a routine of my go-to brunch spots, I decided to give Fig, a relative newcomer on the Corner, a chance to impress me with their unique take on New Orleans breakfast food.

Fig is short for “food is good,” and my brunch experience lived up to that phrase.

While the service was not particularly speedy, it’s the perfect place to spend an hour or two catching up with friends and flushing the alcohol out of your system while enjoying some of the best food the corner has to offer.

After checking the menu the night before my visit, I knew I was going to order the two eggs spanakopita. This Greek dish had a flaky, light exterior and a salty yet flavorful spinach and ricotta filling that complimented its side of two classic scrambled eggs. A light salad of greens and balsamic dressing rounded out the plate.

brunch

Photo by Emily Hauben

My two eating companions ordered the breakfast flatbread and the “southern fried,” a fried biscuit, fried chicken and scrambled eggs, all topped with sausage gravy.

Choosing between the variety of menu items was a challenge, so we opted to go for three different savory dishes that we could share with the table.

The breakfast flatbread, while simple in concept, was a well-executed take on your classic scrambled eggs. It was made up of three eggs with tomato, spinach and feta tossed in. The flatbread served as the perfect vehicle for scooping the eggs in your mouth and added a great textural element to the dish.

brunch

Photo by Emily Hauben

The southern fried was certainly the most decadent of the three dishes our table tried, so if you have a big appetite it’s the perfect breakfast for you. The biscuit was warm and buttery, the eggs cooked to perfect, and of course, there is really nothing to complain about when discussing fried chicken.

I don’t eat red meat, so I did not have the pleasure of trying the sausage gravy, but my roommates and eating companions gave it a two thumbs up.

brunch

Photo by Emily Hauben

My brunch-eating trio left Fig feeling perfectly full and satisfied with our decision to try something new. I will certainly be back to Fig in the near future to try out the Oreo pancakes on the menu that were calling my name.

Explore more of Charlottesville’s food scene by checking out these links: