The state of Alabama is nationally known for its southern comfort food, especially their mouth-watering fried chicken, chicken and dumplings and country fried steak to name a few! People passing through or visiting the University of Alabama yearn for some authentic southern cuisine but aren’t quite sure where to get the most delicious bang for their buck.

Well, thankfully, Tuscaloosa is loaded with places to get your fried grub game on. Right in the heart of Northport, Alabama, just seven minutes away from the University of Alabama campus, resides The Blue Plate Restaurant. Even though this restaurant isn’t in walking distance from The Strip or Quad, it is well worth the short drive to get the best of the best! Blue Plate will most certainly make you feel like you’ve been brought back in time to experience some serious southern hospitality and a homemade meal like your grandmother used to make.

southern

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

Blue Plate Restaurant officially opened in Northport on November 9th, 2004. To add to the clever name of the restaurant, every meal is served on a blue plate. The owners Chris Bradshaw and Allen Aldridge made a conscious effort to recreate a diner that reflected on Southern Tradition. In my opinion they completely nailed it!

College students crave a delicious home cooked meal while they’re away from home and on a budget. Luckily, meals at Blue Plate are extremely affordable and will leave you completely satisfied. You actually leave feeling like you’ve gained an extra ten pounds (so don’t come here right before spring break.)

southern

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

Well-portioned meals range anywhere from $6.99 to $12.99 and include two lip-smacking sides. My all-time favorite meal that never seems to let me down is the Buttermilk Fried Chicken entree. Get this with a side of macaroni and cheese companied with some mashed potatoes and gravy… you will not be disappointed! To really top it off, Blue Plate even delivers hot biscuits and cornbread as soon as you sit down. If that doesn’t steal your heart, I don’t know what will!

southern

Photo courtesy of www.brittanyaray.com