Main Street is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing for the amount of food choices, but it's a curse because at the end of the semester your wallet will most likely be empty. At first glance, Main Street may be intimidating for vegetarians. There are so many options, so why limit yourself to a salad? When thinking about the best veggie-friendly restaurants on Main Street in Newark, DE, there are five places that come to mind.

These five restaurants are hands down the best locations that have the most delicious meat-free items from their menus to keep vegetarians in the know about where to eat at UD.

1. Home Grown Cafe

A photo posted by Amanda Waugh (@amandaa_waugh) on

Without a doubt, Home Grown Cafe has to be number one on my list. This "hippie-inspired" restaurant allows you to customize almost everything on the menu to be vegetarian or vegan. Don't want sausage in your breakfast burrito? Just ask the server for a meat-free alternative. A must-order are the cauliflower wings, a spinoff of buffalo wings. If you're a carnivore, don't worry, just order the meat dishes right off the menu. Although I've never had it myself, I've heard great things about the Dirty Burger.

2. Honeygrow

A photo posted by honeygrow (@honeygrow) on

This casual restaurant is perfect for grabbing a meal between classes. Go right up to a computer and select a pre-made salad or stir-fry. If you're feeling adventurous, you can make your own creation. They offer a wide variety of toppings, ranging from proteins (including tofu and eggs) to cheeses and dressings.  Menu items are labeled vegan or gluten-free. If you like the sense of control that comes along with designing your meal, this place is for you.

3. Ali Baba

A photo posted by Zach Hussein (@zachwhosane) on

Ali Baba is your must-try Mediterranean stop on your Main Street adventure. The food is a mashup of Middle Eastern and Greek fare. Much of the menu is veggie-friendly, and the prices are insanely reasonable. $3 for homemade vegetarian soup? Sign me up. Some of the delicious meat-free options include tatziki salad, sambosa and spinach pie. I highly recommend the vegetarian platter, complete with falafel, grape leaves, baba ghanouj, tabouli, and hummus. YUM.

4. Central Perk

wine, beer, coffee
Lindsay Carroll

This casual cafe is great for when you need a pick-me-up during the day. Choose from a wide variety of teas, coffees, or smoothies, which personally are my favorite. I always opt for the peanut butter banana flavor, which is sweet and creamy and tastes like banana bread. If you're looking for something a little different, try the avocado smoothie.

If you want a meal, you can choose from soups, salads, bagels, and sandwiches. The Avo on Focaccia sandwich is the MVP. It has the perfect blend of avocado, cucumber, cheese, and pesto. All the yummy things you could ask for between two slices of bread.

5. El Diablo

A photo posted by Bret Bret (@bretbret) on

When you're craving Mexican, El Diablo is the way to go. Although be careful on Saturdays because this place is poppin' after dages. Choose a pre-made burrito or burrito bowl with mushroom or beans, or get crazy and build your own. You can also customize a taco or quesadilla. I usually get a bean quesadilla with sides of guacamole and chipotle ranch. The chipotle ranch will change your life. I'm not kidding.