There is no doubt that 2016 has been the year of the doughnut and I can proudly say that doughnuts are officially my favorite pastry. Being a New Jersey native, I have been able to explore all the best doughnut options we have to offer; there are a lot. I narrowed this list down to the top 5 doughnuts in New Jersey so that you don't have to. So, here's a list of my favorite New Jersey doughnuts:

1. Montclair Bread Company

doughnut, chocolate, dough, pastry
Lindsay Paulen

Probably the most well-known of the bunch, Montclair Bread is a North Jersey staple. If you want to avoid their notorious weekend lines, I highly suggest you go during a weekday morning. But nonetheless, Montclair Bread is definitely worth the wait; everything they make is glorious. 

My personal favorite: Nutella-stuffed Doughnut

2. Glaze Artisan Donuts 

chocolate, cake, cupcake, cookie
Lindsay Paulen

You have probably seen this doughnut from the Buzzfeed video that blew up the internet. And I want you to know, the hype is real; Glaze Artisan makes mind-blowingly good doughnuts. With three New Jersey locations, it is definitely the most accessible of the bunch. 

My personal favorite: Rainbow Cake Donut, duh. 

Honorable mention: Cannoli Donut

3. Broad Street Dough Co

ice, cream, chocolate, brownie, peanut, cookie, cupcake, peanut butter, butter
Lindsay Paulen

Like a lot of newer food places, Broad Street Dough Co. has gained immense popularity through their social media accounts. Located just a couple minutes from the shore, this is the perfect post-beach day snack. With dozens of options, there is a doughnut for everyone. 

My personal favorite: Cookie Monster 

4. Beignets

doughnut, chocolate, sprinkles, sweet, candy, cake, pastry, goody, sweetmeat, cream
Lindsay Paulen

Despite being named after another fried piece of dough, Beignets actually makes some amazing doughnuts. Made-to-order, it is official that there is almost nothing better in life than a box of fresh, hot doughnuts. 

My personal favorite: Weirdly enough, Cinnabun 

5. The Fractured Prune

doughnut, chocolate
Lindsay Paulen

The Fractured Prune is actually super similar to Beignets: fresh doughnuts made-to-order. But The Fractured Prune has a bunch of different glazes, which makes it my favorite down the shore treat. Although I was skeptical to try it at first, the cherry glaze. So. Good. 

My personal favorite: Black Forest

New Jersey native or not, these doughnuts are definitely worth the trip.