Nothing kicks off a Sunday in Boone better than breakfast on King Street. Whether you’re recovering from last night and need something greasy, or you’re fueling up before a hike on the Parkway, Boone has plenty of delicious options for any breakfast needs. Since it can be hard to narrow it down, here’s the top five places that are guaranteed to fill you up and thank your lucky stars you get to spend another Sunday in Boonetown.

1. Melanie’s

breakfast

Photo by Ellie Zumstein

Any App State student will tell you that Melanie’s is one of the first places any Boone newcomer must try. They’re known for their delicious breakfast plates and awesome outdoor terrace which is perfect for people-watching on King Street. All their food is fresh and organic, and some even comes from local farms in the High Country. If it couldn’t get any better, they also have several vegan and vegetarian options which are still just as delicious.

2. Boone Bagelry

breakfast

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Boone Bagelry is and always will be #1 in my heart when it comes to breakfast. They have 15 different flavors of bagels and plenty of gluten free options. And, for when just a bagel won’t cut it, they’ve got breakfast plates that come with eggs, bacon, and hash browns and you still get a choice of a bagel. They have plenty of other options as well, like French toast, omelettes, and breakfast sandwiches, but their plates have always been my ride or die. They also have two locations, so you’ll never have to wait in long lines and watch as everyone else enjoys their bagels.

3. Stick Boy Kitchen 

breakfast

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

Not to be confused with Stick Boy Bread Company (which is just as good, trust me), this place is a spin-off of the Boone classic. They serve Bread Company pastries and specialty lattes, but they also expanded into the world of eggs, bacon, and, best of all, breakfast sandwiches. All of their bread and pastries are made fresh every day, and most of their breakfast options have unique ingredients that made Stick Boy special to begin with. Their smoothies aren’t to be missed either, although my personal favorite has always been their one-of-a-kind lattes.

4. Sunrise Grill

breakfast

Photo courtesy of booneview.com

Home of original recipes and creations, Sunrise Grill is a family-owned restaurant that specializes in comfort food. Most of their items on their menu are proud “Sunrise Originals” such as pulled pork omelettes, breakfast plates with steak, or French toast stuffed with Nutella and banana. The whole restaurant has a very laid-back and enjoyable atmosphere, making it the perfect place to kick off a lazy, relaxing Sunday.

5. Local Lion 

breakfast

Photo courtesy of local-lion.com

If it hasn’t been made clear yet, two of my favorite things on the planet are coffee and pastries. And believe me when I say, Local Lion delivers. The coffee shop has been a long-time favorite of App students for studying, hanging out, or just picking up a cup of coffee and a doughnut before class. All of their doughnuts are homemade and are made fresh all day, coming in original flavors like key lime pie or sour cream buttermilk cake. They’re so good that their doughnuts are even sold at the on-campus coffeehouse so even if you can’t make it off campus, you won’t have to miss out on a sweet, delicious breakfast.