There is nothing like a classic burger and fries combo. Just the thought of a toasted bun, crisp lettuce, crunchy onions, succulent tomato, oozing cheese, and juicy meat is enough to cause a bit of a love affair for most of us borderline carnivores.

Many alternatives for beef burgers have been popularized for vegans and vegetarians – cue the black beans and spinach. What if there were other meat alternatives to the classic drive-through order that could be healthier and (dare I say it?) taste better than beef burgers?

Turkey Burger

burger

Photo by Rachel Davis

Ground turkey breast is used to cook these burgers, making their fat content clock in significantly lower than their beef counterpart. Since the meat is a little dryer than beef, condiments are crucial to add some moisture back into every bite.

In a time crunch, whip up these delicious three ingredient turkey burgers.

Kangaroo Burger

burger

Photo courtesy of Flickr

This meat from down under surpasses beef in taste, nutritional value, and animal care. Since kangaroos aren’t farmed, the meat is open range and free of growth hormones and added chemicals. The fat content is very low, and provides an addition of good-for-you omega-3’s.

It’s unlikely the you will find kangaroo burgers springing up at In-N-Out anytime soon, but snag a taste at Tee Off Bar & Grill in San Francisco.

Ostrich Burger

burger

Photo courtesy of Flickr

This exotic bird is a delicacy here in the U.S. Not only does ostrich meat have less fat, fewer calories, and lower cholesterol than beef, but it beats out white meats like chicken and turkey, too. An ostrich burger is definitely worth putting on your foodie bucket list.

Take a quick drive from SCU to the best hole-in-the-wall burger joint that the Bay Area has to offer, called Sliders, to try this top pick.

Lamb Burger

burger

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Although lamb meat is a little tougher than beef, it packs more flavor per morsel. The fat content may be slightly higher, but the decadence pulls this alternative to the front of the pack. Impress a date with these spicy lamb burgers.

Bison Burger

burger

Photo courtesy of Flickr

In comparison to beef, bison has less fat and fewer calories, but more protein. In fact, it is one of the leanest red meats. For those that care where their meat comes from, bison are generally treated more humanely than cows and live in more open environments. Bison is also the easiest burger meat to transition to since its shares a similar taste and texture to beef.

Go ahead and satisfy your tastebuds already with this grilled avocado bacon blue cheese bison burger  say that five times fast.

Indulge in your love for burgers with these meaty articles: