*Disclaimer: Burritos are wrapped in seaweed, not tortillas. LOL.

It’s about time the sushi burrito trend has reached the Midwest. It’s one of the newest additions to West Lafayette’s eclectic set of eating grounds, located on the Wabash Landing next to Latea and Coldstone Creamery. Even better, it’s only a five-minute walk from Chauncey Square.

Indecisive eaters, like me, are going to have a hard time deciding which burrito to choose among the vast array of delicious options offered. Depending on what sort of combinations you’d like (they’ve all been approved by traditional sushi lovers), the burritos are priced around $8-$15. Although the menu may make your wallet feel a bit lighter, it’s definitely an experience to savor. There’s really nothing like it.

The employees are always willing to share customer favorites, so here’s a few of what Purdue students love the most:

1. California Favorites

sushi burrito

Photo by Jane Yeo

This roll of deep fried goodness filled with spicy crab meat, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, and cream cheese made us momentarily forget we were still in the barren cornfields of Indiana. We were afraid the breaded layer on the outside would get soggy, but it remained surprisingly crunchy until the last bite. It did lack some sauciness, so if you’re a fan of spicy mayo or eel sauce, definitely ask for a side of it when you order.

2. Vegas Style

sushi burrito

Photo by Jane Yeo

Maybe it’s called the Vegas Style because of how dirty it is. And by that I mean how much sauce is in this burrito. This one’s filled with fresh salmon, tuna, cream cheese, lettuce and avocado. A generous amount of eel sauce and spicy mayo is slathered inside, and it’s definitely what gave it that WOW factor.

#SpoonTip: If you’re not crazy about spicy mayo, you’re going to want to ask for light sauce.

3. Beef Rice-Box

sushi burrito

Photo by Jane Yeo

Simple ingredients intertwined to create a tasty dish. The rice-box had perfectly cooked beef and vegetables tossed in a house teriyaki sauce poured over a mountain of fluffy rice. The teriyaki sauce didn’t make it too salty to eat, but I could have used less to enjoy the subtly delicious flavors of the vegetables and beef. The rice can be substituted with noodles for an extra dollar, but if you’re on the fence with the money, then think of it as only 100 more pennies!

4. Eel and Salmon Hand rolls

sushi burrito

Photo by Jane Yeo

These Temaki hand rolls were $4.50 each, and they were decent. Just decent. These hand rolls were served warm, which was odd at first since they’re usually cold at other restaurants. This, however, didn’t affect the quality of the fish, which is by far the most important factor. I have to say, the rice-to-fish ratio was not balanced—the disappointment I had for the amount of fish in the roll was kind of like opening a bag of air chips; way too much rice, too little fish. For the price, I would only order them for a quick snack on the go.

sushi burrito

Photo by Jane Yeo

Sushi Burrito has way more burritos and boxes than listed above, so be sure to explore the menu extensively when you go. Although the prices don’t really match the portions you get, the experience is more than necessary for those who’ve never eaten anything like it.

sushi burrito

Gif courtesy of aminoapps.com

As a seasoned sushi veteran, I wasn’t necessarily blown away by the food, but it can, without question, serve as an effective pick-me-up whenever I’m missing my West Coast delicacies. It’s good to keep in mind that Sushi Burrito is more of a fast food restaurant and for Indiana, this is probably the best you’re going to get. But all in all, it’s pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.