Imagine a world where the only thing separating you and the vast saharan bush full of lions, hippos, and leopards is a thin sheet of canvas… This is life on safari. You rise with the sun, only to hop in a jeep, and spend the first seven hours of your day searching for anything that moves. In the afternoon, you come back to your tented camp to stay out of the hot sun and refuel. Lastly, as the sun starts to set, you head back out on the road and cross your fingers you’ll run into a cheetah kill.

But, what do you do about food?! Granted, I’m a little biased because the five times I’ve been on safari (you could say we’re safari addicts) we’ve always gone with the Robert & William Carr-Hartley… but the food is incredible. Below are some of the weird, traditional, and, above all, delicious foods we eat on safari.

1) Fresh Passion Fruit

Safari

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

Being huge exports of the juicy fruit, Kenyans love passion fruit. Not only are these great to start off the day, but they are super easy to eat. Just crack them open, and you have a tasty treat on the go!

2) Fluffy Eggs

Safari

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

A must have on safari, these whipped egg omelettes look impossible to tackle… but one bite will prove otherwise. Their airy texture is unlike anything you’ve ever tasted, and will fill your stomach for those long drives.

3) Anything, and Everything Fresh and Homemade

Safari

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

From salads to fresh bread, the Carr-Hartleys make sure to use the best ingredients in the bush. You’d be amazed that food this fresh and addictive can be made in the middle of nowhere.

4) Beefy Bovril, Marmite, Vegemite,  and Wild Honey

Safari

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

Alright, I have to admit that the beefy bovril, vegemite, and marmite aren’t my favorite… but the wild honey is unparalleled. Because you’re so close to nature on safari, freshly made wild honey is fairly easy to come by. Try this deliciously fragrant delicacy on warm homemade bread or, as I came to love, in my Kenyan tea.

5) Kenyan Tea

Safari

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

If you choose not to try anything on this list, PLEASE at least consider trying their tea. Kenyan tea is a sweeter, more fragrant version of English breakfast tea, and mixed with a couple teaspoons of sugar and a splash of milk, it’s truly unbeatable. I kid you not, I probably had five or six cups of this a day. It keeps you awake for those long drives, provides a healthier alternative to coffee, and satisfies your sweet tooth. Even the lions will be jealous.