Campus Cookies has been a staple on the Corner for as long as we can remember. You have undoubtedly tried (and loved) these cookies at some point in your UVA career. From holidays to finals, this local business has been there through it all and has always left you with a smile on your face.

With four Virginia locations, Campus Cookies has grown into a very successful small business. Students, who act as general managers, bakers and delivery people, run most of Campus Cookies’ daily operations. When you support Campus Cookies, not only are you getting a yummy product, but you are also supporting your fellow Hoos.

UVA

Photo by Zoe Denenberg

While we all love Campus Cookies, it now faces a new competitor on the Corner: Insomnia Cookies. This nationally known chain has taken the college scene by storm, starting with one location in 2003 at the University of Pennsylvania and now expanding to over 65 locations and counting. It is known for its late-night deliveries, running until 3 am daily to satisfy your sugar cravings at all hours.

UVA

Photo by Amanda Friedman

When I first found out that Insomnia Cookies would be opening on the Corner, I was ecstatic. Coming from New Jersey, I had previously visited multiple Insomnia locations and loved their products; however, I soon came to realize that Campus Cookies holds a special place in my heart that a big name brand like Insomnia cannot replace.

UVA

Photo by Amanda Friedman

To sort the effects of Insomnia’s arrival on grounds, I sat down with a Campus Cookies employee to hear her side of the story. This employee explained that Insomnia’s opening has caused less walk-ins and less overall orders per night for Campus Cookies. Since Campus Cookies is a little farther away than Insomnia, people have been opting for Insomnia’s cookies instead.

UVA

Photo courtesy of @foodbuffs on Instagram

While Insomnia’s location may be more convenient than Campus Cookies’, this employee pointed out that the two are not really that different. Insomnia and Campus Cookies both offer virtually the same flavors and cookie size; however, Insomnia’s standard cookies cost $1.45 each, more expensive than Campus Cookies’ traditional cookies ($1.25 each). They are also open for similar late-night hours, delivering until 2 or 3 am.

UVA

Photo by Zoe Denenberg

The previously mentioned Campus Cookies employee expressed that “everybody likes something new,” but urged us not to forget about our time-tested favorite.

Most people do not realize that some of the differentiating factors of Insomnia are offered by Campus Cookies as well, such as chipwiches and cookie cakes. In fact, Campus Cookies even allows you to use any two flavors in your cookie cake and write a customized message, which Insomnia does not.

#SpoonTip: Design your custom cookie cake here.

UVA

Photo by Zoe Denenberg

I was shocked to discover that the Campus Cookies location at VCU recently closed, as it faced the competition of Insomnia Cookies just down the street. Even though our Spoon taste test proved that a cookie is a cookie, I urge you to stay loyal to UVA’s Campus Cookies and support this small business.

It would be a shame if UVA’s Campus Cookies was forced to shut its doors due to corporate competition. In my first semester, I have grown to love this UVA institution. Let’s not let Campus Cookies become UVA history.