From the culinary masters who brought you Heirloom Market BBQ comes another brilliant ethnic fusion: Sobban. A mix of traditional Korean fare and Southern favorites, this casual Decatur eatery takes flavor seriously.

korean

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

While the menu isn’t the easiest to navigate, some helpful descriptions from our waiter led us to a variety of tasty dishes. We started with the spicy rice cakes with fried calamari, a seven minute egg and gochujang sauce. This plate arguably stole the show. The sauce was addictive, the calamari was light and not at all greasy and the rice cakes themselves were a smooth, sticky texture that I thoroughly enjoyed.

We also sampled the kimchi pancakes with dipping sauce and the okara cornbread with chili sauce. Neither particularly stood out, but both accompanied the rest of our dishes well.

korean

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

The options for mains are not vast, but they are creative. I had the chicken kalguksu, which is overnight broth, egg crape, sher-li-hon and nori. The waiter had likened it to a chicken noodle soup, and with a little added sriracha, it was just as comforting.

korean

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

Also on our table was the Korean tray with soy mackerel, kimchi bok choy, rice, braised daikon and tempura sweet potato. This is the best way to get a little bit of everything, including a fresh whole fish.

korean

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

Last, but certainly not least, was the spicy kimchi rice with shrimp. The shrimp were well-seasoned and the beautiful sunny side up egg was cooked so just the right amount of yoke oozed out. Plus, it arrived in a giant skillet, so there was plenty to share.

The only thing I regret is that we were too full to try any more of the unique dishes on offer. And for that reason, I will be back.

korean

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

average

Location: 1788 Clairmont Rd. Decatur, GA 30033

Hours: Tues-Thurs 11:30am-9:30pm Fri-Sat 11:30am-10:30pm