Whether it’s for a pre-class pick-me-up or Saturday morning recovery food, you know that you’ll end up at Newark Deli and Bagels sooner or later. However, a massive pile of egg, cheese and bacon on a bagel oozing with grease may not be what’s best for you.  Thankfully, they do have some yummy, yet wholesome options that are too often overlooked.

Breakfast

NDB Food

Photo by Rachel Davis

White Omelet: This is an omelet made with egg whites, sweet peppers, onions and tomatoes. Mushrooms can also be added and you are given the option of having this with whole wheat toast. I recommend choosing low fat Alpine for cheese, if you are looking for the healthiest option but all cheese is fine in moderation. One omelet easily feeds two so plan to share.

NDB Food

Photo by Rachel Davis

Whole Wheat Bagel: Whole wheat bagels (both regular and everything) are available to pair with  low fat cream cheese, light veggie cream cheese or peanut butter. While this may be healthier than a breakfast sandwich, be aware that a bagel in any form is still a bit of a calorie bomb. I suggest saving this choice for a day when you have little time and are on the go.

Lunch

NDB Food

Photo by Rachel Davis

Turkey Sandwich: Despite a high sodium content, a classic turkey sandwich is a reasonable lunch choice that will keep you full and going-strong until your next meal. This traditional sandwich is a good alternative to ham or bologna. Just ask for whole wheat bread and load up on veggies. Skip the bacon and dressing.

NDB Food

Photo by Rachel Davis

Grilled Chicken Salad: To my surprise, Newark Deli and Bagels also offers a simple grilled chicken salad. It is actually quite delicious and much cheaper than other salads on Main Street. Just be careful when choosing a salad dressing. Many dressings are high in fat and salt, making the salad less healthy than you might think. I suggest sticking to oil and vinegar.

NDB Food

Photo by Rachel Davis

Low Fat Chicken or Tuna Salad: In addition to being one of the quickest options on the menu, it is one of the most delicious. I highly recommend this item.

cheap
Location: 36 E. Main St, Newark DE 19711 Hours of operation: Mon-Fri: 7 am-5 pm