Whether I post a picture on my Snapchat or Instagram, somebody always asks me what I'm eating—and it's only gotten worse since I moved to New York City. 

Since my favorite things to try are NYC ice cream flavors, I decided to check out these four ice cream shops with ones that I knew would catch my friends’ attention.

If you’re looking to be adventurous this year before it gets too cold, try out these NYC ice cream flavors next time you want to shake up your dessert routine.

Sundaes and Cones

ice cream, ice, cream, chocolate
Aransa Huq

Before coming to New York, I saw so many pictures of ice cream from Sundaes & Cones on my Instagram feed that I knew this had to be my first stop. Many of their flavors are Asian-inspired, but they go further than your ordinary matcha. If you’re in the East Village, check out this place for awesome flavors like taro, honey ginseng, or black sesame.

Most unusual: Wasabi

My favorite: Lavender

Oddfellows Ice Cream Co.

ice cream, ice, cream, waffle, chocolate
Aransa Huq

Oddfellows Ice Cream Co. has locations in both Brooklyn and the East Village, both of which definitely made me question whether I was adventurous enough. From flavors like Duck Sausage with Apricot Duck Sauce Swirl to Edamame, I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to go through with trying them. But I ended up getting the Saffron Cardamom Kulfi and Shiso Lychee Sorbet, and was very pleased. 

Most unusual: Duck Sausage

My favorite: Shiso Lychee Sorbet

Morgenstern’s Finest Ice Cream

After waiting in a line that went all the way down the end of the block, I was finally able to get my hands on Morgenstern’s famous Coconut-Ash ice cream. You might have seen pictures of this pitch-black ice cream flavor scrolling through your Instagram. 

Since the line was so long, and I didn’t want to make the entire line hate me, I didn’t get to try any of their other wacky choices like Strawberry Durian, American Egg, or Raw Milk. If you’re ever in Nolita, check this place out, it’s worth the wait!

Most (aesthetically) unusual: Coconut-Ash

My favorite: TBD when I go back at a less popular time

Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream

tea, beer
Aransa Huq

I was super excited to go to Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream in the East Village because I heard they had a long list of vegan flavors, which made me feel a little less guilty about eating all this ice cream.

When I arrived, I couldn’t wait to try their exceptionally eccentric vegan flavors like Concord Grape with Roasted Pear and Honeycomb, or their classic flavors like Earl Grey Tea and Passion Fruit Layer Cake.

Most unusual (classic): Sour Cream Apple Doughnut

Most unusual (vegan): Turmeric with Palm Sugar Cookie

So, next time you're craving some ice cream, don't just settle for old school caramel or vanilla. With all those crazy flavors out there, go HAM (literally) and really jazz up those taste buds.