The only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning on weekends is brunch. Last April my life changed when I discovered Monuts Donuts for the first time.

This hole-in-the-wall donut shop has become a desired destination for Duke students and a rite of passage for all freshmen. On weekends, the line trails out the door and down many blocks, but that never stops me from going because it’s certainly worth the wait.

Monuts

Photo by Abby Farley

Originally a donut stand at the Durham Farmers’ Market, Monuts has blossomed into a full menu restaurant featuring a multitude of breakfast specialties, salads, soups, sandwiches and of course, delectable donuts.

Fresh out the oven every day, Monuts’ cake and yeast donuts come in a variety of inspired flavors such as red velvet, funfetti, apple cinnamon, curry mango, chocolate ginger praline and many more. The constantly changing menu of flavors makes a trip to Monuts even more exciting.

Monuts

Photo by Abby Farley

Recently, Monuts moved to a more convenient spot on Ninth Street, making my weekly excursions much easier. Although still not quite walking distance, the shop is now just a short drive from East Campus and offers much more parking space than its original location on East Parrish Street in Downtown Durham. The new location also has significantly more seating so that customers can now enjoy their meals without feeling cramped or rushed.

Monuts

Photo by Abby Farley

Monuts has also revamped its entire menu, presenting a comprehensive espresso selection, additional specials, beer and wine. The freshly brewed Mocha latte is definitely a must-have, and the latte art is impressive as well. To complement my usual bagel sandwich, I like to try at least one donut. Although you can’t go wrong with any of Monuts’ donuts, my favorite flavor is the funfetti; its doughy texture and sweet frosting will satisfy any sweet tooth. If you’re feeling a little adventurous, try one of their special, seasonal donuts like pumpkin cheesecake or strawberry balsamic crumble.

Breakfast

You can’t go wrong with a classic BLAT. I typically choose the lightly salted bagel and opt to add a fried egg on top. For a sweet and spicy bonus, toss in some maple Sriracha sauce.

Feeling fruity? Try the bagel sandwich with ginger peach chutney, fresh ground peanut butter, arugula, bacon and fresh sliced local peaches. It’s absolutely delightful.

Monuts

Photo by Abby Farley

Lunch

While you may want to have breakfast for every meal of the day, Monuts boasts fabulous lunch items including homemade soups, creative salad combinations and of course, sandwiches.

For all the vegetarians out there, or simply those trying to avoid calorie bombs, the “When Harry Met Salad” is a great option. This light lunch combines mixed greens, kalamata olives, feta, radish, cucumbers and croutons, drizzled with a red wine vinaigrette. Add one of the daily soup selections on the side for the perfect combo.

If you’re feeling bold, go for one of Monuts’ special bagel sandwiches. One of my favorites is the “Fried Green Tomato Caprese” with Italian salsa verde, melted fontina cheese and a local farm egg.

Dinner

If you’re someone like me who loves breakfast for dinner, the Ranchero Biscuit with house-made breakfast sausage, refried black beans, queso fresco, a local farm egg, picked jalapeño and hot sauce is sure to satisfy. The combination is perfect for anyone who loves spicy food.

This eclectic eatery even offers tacos. Make sure to try the local oyster mushroom tacos with arugula, serrano chili oil and pecorino.

Monuts

Photo by Abby Farley

And for dessert, donuts of course!