Hey Montreal, if you’re looking for the perfect cross between affordability and innovative, tasty food, L’Gros Luxe is the place for you. The trendy, new, French-style diner currently has two very accessible locations in the Lower Plateau and Mile End.

The decor of L’Gros Luxe oozes a classic diner vibe successfully coupled with French-style accents – large windows, a lengthy bar, comfortable lighting, and service-oriented staff.

montreal

Photograph by Amy Jiang

With its appeal to anyone who loves a creative plate and student-friendly prices, L’Gros Luxe was the ideal place for the McGill Spoon team to hold a team bonding luncheon at back in December. Everything on the menu is less than $9, including appetizers, entrées and desserts.

Let’s dive into some of the options we tried out:

montreal

Photograph by Amy Jiang

Pulled-Pork Tacos, plated on a fluffy pita and coated with house mayonnaise. The pulled-pork was deemed a tad dry, but the sauce added some creaminess and slightly spicy kick to compensate.  ($2.50 each).

montreal

Photograph by Amy Jiang

Honey-Sriracha Chicken Wings, garnished with black and white sesame seeds, they have a tender bite with a spicy-sweet punch. ($6 per order)

Note: try the $6 chicken skewers on their new menu.

montreal

Photograph by Amy Jiang

The grilled cheese and tomato soup combo is a must-try; the grilled cheese is perfectly pan fried – making for the kind of crunch and melt a grilled cheese needs. ($7)

montreal

Photograph by Amy Jiang

Housemade Patty Burger, topped with standard condiments to form a solid diner-style burger ($7)

montreal

Photograph by Amy Jiang

And for dessert, there’s nothing like some caramel-garnished avocado fries with vanilla ice cream. You may think deep-fried avocados sounds a little too funky for a Sunday brunch, but think again: the sweet and crunchy exterior coupled with the smooth and mushy interior makes for a fantastic treat. Unfortunately, with their menu changes, this dessert is no longer available. Don’t fret, The Earl-Grey Crème Brûlée is an equally creative must-try.

The restaurant also features daily specials, often vegetarian-friendly, so come stop by to see what this amazing place managed to whip up for you upon arrival.

montreal

Photograph by Amy Jiang

Oh, and their house-brewed Bock rising tall at 0.75 L comes in at only $6!

montreal

Photograph by Amy Jiang

All in all, Montreal’s L’Gros Luxe features fantastic homemade food with unique twists and touches. With prices that won’t burn through your student budget, it is ideal for Sunday lunch or a potential first date.

Just a heads up, they don’t take reservations so seating is first come, first serve.

cheap

Location: 3807 Rue Saint-André, Montréal, QC H2L
Hours of Operation: 11 am – 12 am, Monday -Wednesday; 11 am – 1 am, Thursday – Friday; 10 am – 1 am, Saturday; 10 am – 12 am, Sunday