“I’m going to have a smoothie – I just really need to detox.” How many times have we said this or heard one of our friends say this? Smoothies have become the go to representation of a healthy food choice, whether it be for a quick on the go snack or a meal replacement. But are we really making the most of what nutritional benefits our smoothie choices can offer?

Heather Stevenson, owner of Thirst Juice Company in Boston, MA gave insight into how our smoothies can add even more healthy benefits to our lives than we may know. After leaving her job as a lawyer in New York, to move to Boston, Heather found a market gap for juices and smoothies that could make healthy choices easier for locals. As a lifelong vegetarian and also ultra-marathon runner, Heather views the smoothies and juices provided by Thirst Juice Company as fuel for your body and a way to add certain nutrients to your diet that are hard to fit in elsewhere.

Commonly in our diets we are told to remove things. Remove carbohydrates, remove dairy, remove sugar, etc. Instead of removing ingredients, Thirst Juice Company promotes the addition of nutrients to ensure our health is more well rounded. These smoothies are just a few examples of how Thirst Juice Company has made it a point to incorporate nutrition through their careful choice of ingredients.

1. Bad Monkey!

smoothie

Photo Courtesy of @thirstjuiceco on Instagram

Ingredients: Banana, almond butter, cacao nibs, cacao powder, dates, coconut milk, ice.

Basically a chocolate milkshake, this option is a great source of protein as well as healthy fat from nut butter. Raw cacao nibs not only provide the chocolatey taste, but are also wicked high in antioxidants. You won’t even believe its sweetened only with one banana and one date.

2. Vitamin “G”reen

smoothie

Photo courtesy of @thirstjuiceco on Instagram

Ingredients: Kale, spinach, mango, banana, pineapple, coconut water.

It’s true that almost no American gets enough fiber into their diet. Luckily, adding greens such as spinach and kale into a smoothie is a great way to get your daily fiber dose! Plus the hydrating coconut water and other fruit cover up the taste. Don’t let the green color fool ya.

3. Peruvian Pick Me Up

smoothie

Photo courtesy of Heather Stevenson

Ingredients: Mango, rolled oats, banana, dates, almond milk, maca.

Love smoothies and love morning oats? Why not combine the two? Cooked gluten free rolled oats add extra protein and fiber to this already health packed smoothie. Maca, which you would never eat on its own, is a superfood with tons of positive effects, including on energy, stamina, and mood. Start your day off with this smoothie and it’s bound to be great.

4. Goji-Mojo

smoothie

Photo courtesy of Heather Stevenson

Ingredients: Goji berries, raspberries, banana, almond milk, filtered water, ice, cinnamon.

Berries are a great source of antioxidants and phytonutrients. Goji berries in particular have high levels of beta-carotene which are great for your skin as well as your immune system. Mix these with all the other ingredients, including cinnamon which has great immunity benefits and your body will thank you.

5. Coconut Acai Bowl

smoothie

Photo courtesy of Heather Steveson

Ingredients: Coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut flakes, acai, banana, agave, topped with banana, shredded coconut and granola.

Acai Bowls are not only the perfect Instagram photo, but they can also be a great way to add nutritional ingredients to your daily intake. Take this offering from Thirst Juice Company. Coconut oil and flakes give the smoothie healthy fats which pairs great with the antioxidants provided by acai. Toppings  are an additional great way to ensure you’re getting the most of your smoothie bowl, so don’t hesitate to pile on the granola and fresh fruit.

Check out Thirst Juice Company’s full menu at their location in Downtown Crossing and to learn more about how to make the most of your smoothies!