One of the best things in life: breakfast food. Even thinking about this article is making my mouth water. I could live off of breakfast food for every meal for the rest of my life and be more than happy. I do not discriminate against breakfast food, and luckily Madison breakfast places do not discriminate against those with gluten intolerances. I am here to provide EVERYONE (not just gluten-free peeps) with a guide to the best breakfast, brunch, and brinner places throughout UW.

1. Coming in hot at number one: Short Stack Eatery

Short Stack, yes that place on State street that is open 24 hours a day from Thursday to Sunday just so you can get breakfast food at LITERALLY ANY TIME. Not only do they have breakfast burritos, omelettes, eggs, scrambles, and amazing sides (the potatoes are to die for), but they have GLUTEN-FREE PANCAKES. No, you did not read that wrong. Regular buttermilk pancakes, chocolate chip, blueberry, or whatever your heart desires, come gluten-free. I am a regular and I am proud.

brunch

Photo by Libby Aik

2. Sunroom Cafe

The classic. You can’t go wrong with the cute little cafe sitting above state street with amazing varieties of omelettes, eggs, and pancakes (sadly not gluten-free). They have every breakfast classic and they make them all perfectly. Pair with their coffee and whip cream and you’re good to go for the day (also, their lunch and dinner are amazing).

brunch

Photo by Libby Aik

3. Bassett Street Brunch Club

The hip, popular place, and for good reason. While it may be a tad more expensive than other places, their food does not disappoint. With an endless all day breakfast menu, you have a plethora to choose from. Whether you’re going with the avocado toast trend, sticking to an omelette, balling out for their giant chocolate chip pancakes, or going big with their amazing breakfast nachos, you will leave the brunch club with a fully satisfied stomach. If you’re like me and want to just think about amazing breakfast, check out the Brunch Club website

brunch

Photo by Libby Aik

4. Graze

Moving onto the fancy Capital square, Graze is known for its farm to table food and their brunch does not disappoint. I recommend getting there early just because the wait will be lengthy, and for good reason. Their menu items such as breakfast sandwiches and eggs Benedict can be modified to gluten-free or you can stick to a regular egg sandwich. But trust me, their organic and farm raised ingredients are definitely ones to wait for.

brunch

Photo courtesy of graze.com

5. Cooper’s Tavern

While Cooper’s has a large brunch menu, it unfortunately includes a lot of french toast and eggs Benedict. However, order the Benedict without the english muffin and you’re golden. They also have a good selection of eggs, scrambles, and classic American breakfasts to hold you over.

brunch

Photo courtesy of FoodSpotting.com

6. Marigold Kitchen

Don’t ask my roommate about Marigold’s, she’ll go on forever…and so will fellow Spoon writer Avery Allen. Check out her full review on Marigold’s HERE. Complete with simple, yet amazing, muffins, and full on egg breakfasts, Marigold’s is a go to for an any day breakfast.

With my obsession of breakfast food, becoming a regular at these place’s has not been difficult. My life mottos are that breakfast calories don’t count and spending money on brunch is always justifiable. I mean, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.