Imagine four girls roaming around Chelsea, attempting to find the High Line. To simply put it, my friends and I were hangry, so hungry, we were angry.

I had been to the Chelsea Market before, specifically to a pastaria inside it. Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina is the name of the hidden gem.

Sophie Friedrich

Right when you enter between 15th and 16th street and 9th ave, you can walk in and find this restaurant on your right. There are several thousand pieces of pasta behind the glass counter that you'll want in your mouth—all different shapes, sizes, colors. They all look to die for. 

A photo posted by Jamie Nan (@jamie_nan) on

When we went to visit, the seating was closed for a private event. We asked the lady behind the register where the best place was to sit down and eat. “Oh, the High Line of course!” was her response, which is exactly where we were headed anyways.

Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina's to-go menu allows you to chose any type of pasta behind the glass counter, what kind of sauce you want, and any extras on top.

My pasta of choice is four cheese ravioli, marinara sauce, nothing extra. Because, I had been here before I knew it would taste amazing just like that. My friends on the other hand, had no idea what they wanted.

shrimp
Sophie Friedrich

Once again, we found ourself asking the cashier. After she asked a couple questions he responded, “Can I just make your dish for you?” It was like he was waiting for this question all day.

He suggested the bacon filled ravioli with half red sauce and half Alfredo sauce (to make a vodka sauce) and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top. It sounded so good that his co-worker wondered aloud why he never made it for her before. 

After a quick ten minute wait for our amazing pasta, served with a side of delicious warm bread, we were ready to head over to the High Line across the street.

The pasta simply melted in our mouths and we have been craving it ever since. It was well worth the $13 price tag. And Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina is well worth a visit.