While Downtown Hartford is typically known for its abundance of dinner venues and bars, a new type of eatery has made its way onto the scene. Juiced Up is a fresh-pressed juice spot located in Downtown Hartford. Just over a month old, Juiced Up makes a healthy lifestyle accessible and affordable to the Hartford community. Spoon Trinity ventured down last Saturday to meet Nigel, the owner, and jumpstart start our post-weekend detox.

Located on 231 Asylum Street, Juiced Up is situated on a city block dotted with coffee shops, delis, office buildings, and a hotel. With floor-to-ceiling windows, the storefront evokes a sense of elegance and stature amongst the cityscape.

Photo by Carly Goroff

Upon arriving, we carefully studied the abundant menu with tons of fresh juice, smoothie, and sandwich options. With so many delicious-sounding juices to choose from, we eventually landed upon the Beets Me (beets, red apple, spinach, carrots, honey, and ginger) and Green Monster (celery, kale, spinach, broccoli, and green apple). While we waited for our juices, we spoke to Nigel about his new digs.

Photo by Carly Goroff

Super charismatic and friendly, Nigel opened up to us on all things health. According to him, Juiced Up’s best sellers are the Beets Me (which I happened to have ordered), Funkey Monkey (banana, peanut butter, and almond milk), and the Very Berry (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and apple juice) but you really can’t go wrong with any of the menu items. Young, old, male, female, Juiced Up is a place where everyone can find something that suits their tastes. Juices not your thing? Try one of their freshly made wrapped sandwiches or salads.

Nigel is also very interested in interacting with the local community to promote health and wellness as well as supporting community events. There is a community board hanging in the store where events, lectures, movies and restaurants can be advertised. Nigel’s excited for his new spot and the emergence of the health and wellness scene in Hartford was apparent from his smile and encouraging words:

“Downtown is alive and vibrant! I’m highly optimistic now that I’m here and can contribute to the diverse community here in Hartford.”

Further, Juiced Up offers discounts to high school students – Nigel realizes the importance of fruits and vegetables in a healthy diet but recognizes that it may not be in every students budget to afford it. There is also a customer loyalty program: buy 5 juices, get 50% off your next. Buy 10 juices, get your 11th free. We love how generous Juiced Up is!

In the future, Juiced Up will be a perfect spot for study breaks with sofas, chairs, tables, and WiFi so be sure to stop by when you need a break from studying for finals.

Photo by Carly Goroff

When our juices came, we were impressed with the excellent taste. We would definitely recommend both the Green Monster and the Beets Me! And at only $5.50 each, Juiced Up should be Hartford’s go-to stop for delicious, healthy, and affordable beverages and snacks.