It’s that special time of year again when the smell of pumpkin spice lattes permeates the cool, crisp air; the leaves begin to change colors; and flannels and scarves are reincorporated into our wardrobe.

With all of these wonderfully autumnal occurrences, many Hoyas look to go apple and pumpkin picking to properly ring in the season. Although there are not any pick-your-own orchards in DC, there are many located nearby in Maryland and Virginia.

Here is Spoon’s guide to all things pumpkin and apple picking as well as to fun fall festivities in Maryland and Virginia.

Maryland

1. Larriland Farm

apple and pumpkin picking

Photo courtesy of Meredith Ross

What to Pick: pumpkins, tomatoes, broccoli, beets, chard, spinach, turnips, kale and flowers
Apples to pick: Fuji, Braeburn, Granny Smith, Enterprise, Pink Lady and Gold Rush
Activities: Straw Maze, Boo Barn and hayrides (Sat and Sun)
Good to know: Picking containers are provided.

2. Homestead Farm

apple and pumpkin picking

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons via Theodore C

Apples to Pick: Aztec Fuji, Sun Fuji, Suncrisp, Cameo and Enterprise at $1.49 a pound
From the Market: pumpkins, tomatoes, vegetables, apple cider, fall mums and honey
Good to know: Hayrides are offered to the pumpkin patch for $3 a person.

3. Butler’s Orchard

apple and pumpkin picking

Photo courtesy of Bari Blanga

From the Market: raspberries, tomatoes, flowers, pumpkins, fall squash, kale, potatoes, peppers, onions, jams, jellies and baked goods
Apples to Pick: Crimson Crisp, Cortland, Gala, Sun Crisp, York, Stayman, Fuji, Jonagold, and Honey Crisp Apples
Good to know: The farm hosts evening group hayrides and bonfires.

4. Rock Hill Orchard

Photo Courtesy of Spoon University

Photo courtesy of Maggie Gorman

Apples to Pick: Cameo, Mutsu, Suncrisp, Stayman, Granny Smith, Goldrush, Pink Lady and Late Fuji
Activities: 9-mile Corn Maze, Pumpkin Picking, Cow Milking
Good to Know: The orchard uses fresh milk to make ice cream, so make sure to pick some up at the market.

Virginia

1. Stribling Orchard

apple and pumpkin picking

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons via Katie

Apples to Pick: Jonathan, McIntosh, Red Delicious, Gold Delicious, Grimes Golden, Fuji, Stayman, Grannysmith, Rome and York at $1.50 a pound
From the Market: cider, fruit butters, jams and jellies, salad dressings, salsas, sauces and pumpkins
Good to Know: Take a tour of the orchard and see how the apples grow each season.

2. Hartland Orchard

apple and pumpkin picking

Photo courtesy of Parti Lofti

What to Pick: Pumpkins, Tomatoes, Sweet Corn
From the Market: Caramel Apples, Kettle Corn, Homemade Pies and Honey
Activities: Hayrides, Corn Maze, Pig Races, Corn Hole, Pumpkin Bowling, Farm Animals and an Apple Canon
Good to know: Cut down your Christmas tree or Hanukkah bush here when winter comes.

3. Hollin Farms

apple and pumpkin picking

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons via Rachel Kramer

Apples to pick: Empire, Jonagold, Golden Delicious, Shizuka, Idared, Autumn Gala, Fireside and Stayman
From the Market: Arugula, Lettuce, Turnips, Collards, Radishes, Broccoli Rabe, Napa Cabbage, Bok choy and Mustard Greens
Good to know: Bring your old jeans and dig your own potatoes and peanuts.

4. Wayside FarmFun

apple and pumpkin picking

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons via Mike Mozart

Activities: Corn Maze, Pumpkin Patch, Pig Races, Goat Walk, Farm Animals and Pumpkin Smashing
Good to Know: Head to their partner farm, Wegmeyer Farms, to pick pumpkins.

Whether you’re heading north or south of the District, make sure you break the bubble this fall to fulfill all of your apple, pumpkin and corn maze needs.