Since The Hyppo first opened its doors last summer, students have flocked from all over town to try the famous flavored popsicles, which originated in St. Augustine. The Hyppo’s claim to fame is their all-natural, gourmet ice pops that will make you forget all about your love for ice cream and convert to these healthier frozen treats. Thankfully, the franchise has expanded in Gainesville, so locals are now able to get their popsicles in three locations around town.

gainesville

Photo by Casey Leopold

The first Gainesville store is in a prime spot downtown near other local favorites like the farmers’ market and Maude’s Classic Cafe. After less than a year, The Hyppo’s success led to another opening on Archer Road and a third location across from Ben Hill Griffin Stadium near Cheese Daddy.

These pops boast all-natural fruit flavors, which include options like avocado, mango champagne, blackberry clove, guava hibiscus and, for the brave, cranberry habanero. Whether you decide to go the classic route with Granny’s apple pie or be bold with sweet potato crunch, you are guaranteed a fresh taste of the best locally made popsicles available.

gainesville

Photo courtesy of todaysorlando.com

Not into the whole fruit thing? Try the Elvis. Made with peanut butter, banana and honey, this pop tastes best when dipped in chocolate for a sweet finishing touch. You can also test their new flavor, dark roast espresso, which offers just enough caffeine to make your late night study sesh bearable. The best part? You don’t have to buy a five-dollar cup of coffee to stay awake because these babies start at only $3.50 a pop (yes, pun intended).

With over 450 flavors (!) their menu is constantly changing to reflect fan favorites and seasonal flavors, so there is no excuse not to come back for more.

gainesville

Photo by Casey Leopold

The Hyppo stores have a hipster vibe, offering other local products for sale like organic honey and ground coffee. The pop shops are on the smaller side, with just enough room for trendy t-shirts and a long freezer for their pops, but what more do you really need? Pro Tip: The Hyppo uses punchcards, making every ninth popsicle free, so make sure to ask for one when you visit. 

Still hot? Cool off with more frozen treats: