Grease. It is bad for you, but how could you ever resist the temptations of a freshly cooked piece of fried chicken straight from a boiling vat of oil? The satisfyingly crunchy exterior reveals the soft interior of chicken, waiting to be devoured to the bone. With not a single utensil needed, fried chicken offers a warm, filling meal that leaves you wanting more. My craving for fried chicken led me on a mission to find the best in Santa Clara. After taste testing many different types from a variety of cultures, Vons Chicken won me over. 

coffee, cake, tea, wine, beer
Kaitlin Wheeler

This small restaurant, located 15 minutes from Santa Clara University, offers a very simple menu. You can choose from two types of chicken: legs or wings. For those of you who like to take a more adventurous route, mixing these two options is allowed. Instead of listing a plethora of flavors and spices that can be added to the chicken, only two options-- mild or spicy, are offered to set the indecisive eater's mind at ease. Finally you are given one more task in choosing either crunchy or extra crunchy chicken. Go for the extra crunchy, you will not regret your decision. 

Kaitlin Wheeler

Before the waiter even brings out your chicken, they give you a plate just for the bones, preparing you for the unforgettable experience that awaits. With the smell of chicken looming in the air, there is nothing else to do but peek at the kitchen window behind the counter, hoping to get a glimpse of your meal ready to be served. 

meat, chicken
Kaitlin Wheeler

After waiting for what seems like an hour, but is really only five minutes, the feast is served and your craving for fried chicken becomes a thing of the past. A tray of the crispiest and crunchiest chicken your eyes will ever see lies in front of you. Well, what other to do than dig in. There is no need to follow the implied rules of manners at the dinner table. Here is a place to free your hands to act as they please. 

bread, meat, chicken
Kaitlin Wheeler

Smothered in a light sauce and a touch of grease, your hands await to grab the next piece. After a while, chicken can start to taste the same, but Vons Chicken puts a little twist on their plate to solve this grandiose dilemma. Small little bowls of pickled radishes and coleslaw allow for you to cleanse your palate in between taking the next bite of your chicken. With just a pile of bones left, this restaurant leaves you with a full stomach and withdrawals every day after.