Need that froyo pick-me-up, a comforting meal, or a place to get away from it all and snack on a pastry and latte while telling your best friend about your wild night out? Well, Spoon has got you covered. This isn’t meant to be a ‘best of the best’ on and around campus list- it’s a guide on where to go for any occasion. We all stress about that awkward meal with someone we just met or having to eat alone when your roommate’s class schedule doesn’t match yours. We can’t make the college transition seamless, but follow this guide and deciding where to eat will be.

Best for when you’re missing Mom’s home cooking: Nando’s Peri Peri

Chowing down a plateful of grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob at this fast casual Dupont spot is a surefire way to ease any lingering homesickness. Awesome for a large group.

Best for alone time: Bourbon Coffee 

Bring some work and choose from a range of exotic teas and coffees at this Rwandan fair-trade coffeehouse. Treat yourself to the drink of the season.

GW

Photograph by José Manuel Garcia

Best for lunch with someone you just met: Devon and Blakely

If you’re looking for a fast, simple place to grab something fresh and healthy, then Devon is a must. New outdoor seating means less time spent waiting to scarf down that toasted tomato, mozzarella & pesto baguette. 

GW

Photograph by José Manuel Garcia

Best for selve-servin’, sweet-tooth satsfyin’ goodness: FroZenYo

It’s not Yogurtland or Menchies, but it’s a close third and the only self-serve near Foggy.

Best for celebrating the holidays at school: DGS Delicatessen

DC is seriously lacking in the Deli department, but for a slice of keugel, matzo ball soup or latkes, DGS is your best bet. This up-scale deli takes your cultural comfort food to a new, trendier level. You can also hit up this DC deli for something more traditional.

GW

Photograph by Melanee Piskai

Best for a TGI Friday’s alternative (because, you can do better): Stoney’s

For the greatest mac ’n cheese and grilled cheese sandwich around, Stoney’s is the place to go. Comfort food served up in a bar atmosphere, great for catching your home-team football game. Want to be domestic instead? Check out this awesome mac n’ cheese recipe.

GW

Photograph by José Manuel Garcia

Best for comfort food: Good Stuff Eatery 

Burger, milkshake, & fries, anyone? Stroll into Georgetown and try this fast-casual burger joint. Their toasted marshmallow shake made it onto the Food Network, and for good reason. Great for small groups on a Friday night.

GW

Photograph by José Manual Garcia

Best when you’re on your own: Paul

This is the ideal spot to grab a satisfying breakfast (customized omelets and croissant sandwiches) while sipping on coffee and finishing up an assignment on weekday mornings. Cozy, quiet, and delicious French fare.

Best when you’re in a hurry: FoBoGro 

On your way back from class and about to dive into that pile of work ya got? Stop by FoBo for a unique sandwich to bring back to your room with you. Some GW favorites: big fat Pauley, tuna melt, avocado BLT, s’morewich, and PBJB.

GW

Photograph by José Manual Garcia