Did you know that all this time you have been eating so called “Belgian waffles” has probably been a huge lie? If you’re craving authentic Belgian waffles, look no further than Zinneken’s Waffles, located a few minutes by foot from the Harvard Square T-stop, where actual Belgians are making actual Belgian waffles! The restaurant is quaint and has a homey feel with wooden cabinets, a few cozy tables and a long, wooden countertop.

Zinneken's Waffles

Photo by Sarah Wu

Zinneken’s makes it easy for you: choose from two types of waffles, liège or Brussels. The liège waffle is made with a dough, not a batter as most waffles are. It’s soft and chewy, and the dough is mixed with caramelized Belgian pearl sugar. The Brussels waffle is lighter and crispier, more like what Americans would typically call a “Belgian waffle.” Both are served fresh off the waffle iron and topped with ingredients such as Speculoos (cookie butter), Nutella, Belgian chocolate and a variety of fresh fruits. Need I say more?

Oreo Freakin' Party Waffle

Photo by Sarah Wu

There are ten set options on the menu. However, you can create or modify your own by adding each additional ingredient for $1. The menu boasts fun options like “Oreo Freakin’ Party” (Oreos, raspberries and whipped cream) and “Berries Insanity” (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries). The liège waffle delivers. It has a faint smell of vanilla from the Belgian pearl sugar.

Zinneken’s also offers hot chocolate, cappuccino and tea if you’d like a hot beverage to complement your sweet treat.

The waffles, reasonably priced, are not enough for a solid meal in my opinion. They’re more suited for a light breakfast or heavier mid-day snack while you take a break from your schoolwork to meet up with some friends. Whether you live steps away at Harvard University or across the river at BU or Northeastern, Zinneken’s is worth the trip. You’ll leave with a happy tummy and a satisfied sweet tooth.

Zinneken's Waffles Storefront

Photo by Sarah Wu

cheap

Location: 1154 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02138
Hours of Operation: Mon-Thurs 8am-11pm, Fri-Sat 8am-12am, Sun 8am-9pm

Don’t live in Boston? No worries, get your breakfast fix with these recipes: