Ask your friends if they’ve ever heard of Underground Cupcakes & Cafe and the answer will likely be no. Relatively unknown to IU students, this off-campus cafe is serving up creative and tasty cupcakes, salads, soups and sandwiches.

Cupcakes

Photo by Stephanie Marchuk

Underground Cupcakes & Cafe has a selection of over 100 types of cupcakes that varies daily and a quick phone call will let you know what they have on hand that day. You can find everything from your classic flavors like vanilla, chocolate and red velvet to more exotic flavors like chocolate chili, balsamic mango, and peanut butter with banana and bacon. If you’re an Upland fan, there is even a Bad Elmer beer flavored cupcake. They continue the underground theme by grouping their flavors into “Secret”, “Top Secret” or “Classified” based on price.

#Spoontip: Every Tuesday cupcakes are $2.75 each or $28 a dozen. Treat-yo-self Tuesday anyone?

Cupcakes

Photo by Stephanie Marchuk

If you are car-less, fear not because Underground delivers and caters. Have a birthday coming up? Aced that last test? You should probably let mom and dad know where they can send you some beautifully decorated treats, wink-wink. And if you’re on a health kick you can even suggest one of their sugar free, gluten free or vegan flavors.

Think cupcakes are all that this place has to offer? Hell no! They also have amazeballs salads, soups and sandwiches. Their rotating selection of soups can be found on their Facebook page daily. They have the basics, like the popular tomato basil but also comforting selections, like ham mac and cheese.

Cupcakes

Photo by Stephanie Marchuk

Some of their more popular sandwiches include the Pot Roast Paradox panini which features home made pot roast with caramelized onions, cheddar cheese and bistro sauce on rye bread. Another fan favorite is the (vegetarian) Veg on the Wire. It’s served on a nut bread with cream cheese, avocado, tomatoes, sunflower seeds and alfalfa sprouts.

Finally, their refreshing salads round out the menu. Order either the Apple Gouda or Strawberry salad and choose from the plethora of house-made dressings. If you’re feeling more than just a salad you can turn your meal into a combo with a cup of soup or half sandwich added to a half salad.

Now, if necessary go steal a car and drive 10 minutes down SR 45/46 to try them out.

Cupcakes

Photo by Stephanie Marchuk