There are only two build-your-own pizza places on campus, Pieology and Pizza Studio, and they are steps away from each other. Both are often described as, the “Chipotle equivalent” of pizza making and both are in prime locations positioned right next to three (soon to be four) student high-rise apartments. So, which is better? Which is healthier? Which do students prefer?

After extensive research, a look into the nutritional documents and conducting a survey of students, the results are in and your questions have been answered. Pizza Studio has prevailed as the better pizza-making restaurant in Tucson for many distinctive qualities.

survey

Photo courtesy of Pizza Studio

The survey I conducted received 62 responses and from these reviews, 56 percent favored Pizza Studio over Pieology, which held 43 percent of the vote. Students who favored Pizza Studio said they liked it more because:

“More topping options.”

“I feel that it is healthier and cheaper!”

“They put more cheese!”

Many of these reviewers were correct, Pizza Studio is cheaper and has far more topping options than Pieology. However, the healthiness of both restaurants is very sub-par, don’t let that get you down, though, we still love pizza.

Something I found interesting was that the gluten free crust has far more calories at both restaurants. At Pizza Studio, regular white or wheat crust is 450 calories and gluten free is 640 calories. Pieology is 460 calories for a white or wheat crust and 520 calories for gluten free crust. So, if you’re on the gluten-free trend, maybe Pieology is a better choice for you.

survey

Photo courtesy of Pizza Studio

As for toppings, Pizza Studio offers 34 options versus the 27 Pieology offers. Pizza Studio also has many crust options: traditional, wheat, rosemary herb, Moroccan, firecracker and gluten free. However, Pieology has more cheese options, with six kinds of cheese versus the four Pizza Studio has and is cooked in a wood-fire oven. Both restaurants have the same number of sauce options.

A handful of reviewers said they preferred Pieology because it’s familiar since they’ve eaten there in their hometown. Pizza Studio is a franchise but, with only 37 locations, Pieology has 109 locations.

survey

Photo courtesy of Pizza Studio

If you’re the type of person who prefers to eat somewhere familiar, then maybe Pieology is for you. However, on the U of A campus, Pizza Studio takes cat cash and that alone is enough to make them the better pizza place. It’s settled, Pizza Studio takes the cake, or the crust if you’re trying to get technical.