The days of waiting in long lines at mediocre restaurants on Green Street are over. You can do better. I understand the occasional Chipotle fix, but it’s time to stop settling and start salivating. We’ve searched far and wide and came up with this list of the top underrated restaurants in Champaign-Urbana that you HAVE to try.

In the celebration of it being February and this being the best food month ever, it’s time to get in your car, get in your friend’s car, get in your friend’s friend’s car (don’t get in a stranger’s car) and get some delicious food now.

1. Sunsinger Wine & Spirits

Underrated Restaurants

Photo courtesy of Tori Baier

Sunsinger is the king gem of all hidden gems. I would classify this restaurant as a deli on steroids. They have an absurd amount of liquors, beers, wine and cheese (read: alcohol can help you live longer). If you’re not 21, don’t fret. Once you bite into one of Sunsinger’s warm, cheesy, grilled sandwiches, no drink will ever taste as good. From cheese platters, to my favorite turkey and Havarti on grilled challah, to the many decadent salads and sides, there is something for everyone. They also have pretzel buns. Just sayin’. I cannot stress enough how godly this place is. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll go check it out.

Underrated Restaurants

Photo courtesy of Tori Baier

P.S. Rumor has it that Sunsinger is expanding to be bigger and better than ever before. Look out for delicious details coming soon.

cheap
average

Address: 1115 W. Windsor Road, Champaign, IL 61821

Hours: Mon-Thurs 10am-11pm, Fri-Sat 10am-Midnight, Sun 10:30am-8pm

2. Ferran’s Pub and Eatery

Underrated Restaurants

Photo courtesy of Yelp.com

The only reason your mouth isn’t watering at the sight of the word “Ferran’s” is because you do not yet know about the juicy burger goodness that awaits. If you’re looking for some good ol’ American grub, this is it. From their freshly ground burgers to their loaded tacos, you can find anything your heart desires. Feeling spicy? Try the Fire Burger topped with sautéed jalapenos, red peppers, red onions and habanera cheese. Feeling meaty? The chicken, bacon and BBQ sandwich will turn any vegetarian into a carnivore. With daily fresh cut fries and beer on draft, you’ll never want to go to any other burger joint again.

cheap
average

Address: 308 North Randolph Street, Champaign, IL 61820

Hours: Mon-Thurs 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 4pm-10pm

3. Le Peep

Le Peep is Le Amazing. Satisfy those mornings when you wake up and nothing can get in the way between you and some warm, cheesy hash browns, with Le Peep. It’s like hitting the breakfast food jackpot. This brunch heaven has Benedicts, pancakes, crepes, skillets, omelets, sandwiches, burritos and more. Le Peep isn’t a greasy diner or a restaurant that happens to make eggs for an hour in the morning—it’s the real deal. And to get you extreme pancake lovers in the mood, this pancake art filled article is for you.

average

Address: 2209 South Neil Street, Champaign, IL 61820

Hours: Mon-Fri 6:30am-2pm, Sat-Sun 7am-2pm

4. Manolo’s Pizza and Empanadas

Underrated Restaurants

Photo courtesy of Facebook.com/manolospizzaandempanadas

Simply stated, there is no better pizza place on campus than Manolo’s. Located right around the corner from Canopy Club in Urbana, this little quick-serve restaurant has anything from traditional cheese to gourmet massive slices. No matter which flavor you choose, your taste buds are guaranteed to thank you. But now on to the the empanadas. Holy my goodness. From potato and cheese, to inferno chicken, to the dessert filled raspberry cheesecake or apple streusel, these empanadas will have you drooling before you’re even handed the bag. Plus, Manolo’s delivers. Find some friends, design your own pizza and have a great cheese-filled day. If you couldn’t finish your pizza (which isn’t a surprise) learn how to spice it up for breakfast in the morning.

Underrated Restaurants

cheap

Address: 1115 W. Oregon Street, Urbana, IL 61801

Hours: Sun-Thurs 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-Midnight

So there you have it folks: the top underrated restaurants in Chambana. But don’t just take our word for it, go check out these places out yourself. You won’t be disappointed.

To read more about restaurants in Champaign-Urbana, check these out: