Hello, it’s us again. Last week, we visited Ejji Ramen, a casual ramen joint located in Belvedere Square.

This week, we visited Mi & Yu Noodle Bar, an intimate venue with enough room for only twenty-four people. Despite it being early Tuesday evening, all seats were filled. Owned by seasoned chef Edward Kim, the Federal Hill restaurant is a newcomer to Baltimore’s growing ramen scene. From the take-out style register and the cafeteria-style pickup counter to the decorative cans of utensils, Mi & Yu was made for efficiency, not for conversation, making it the most authentic ramen joint experience yet.

There were two prominent menu items: noodle bowls and baos (Chinese steamed bun sandwiches). The noodle bowls are customizable, with your choice of noodle, protein, and broth. With three noodle options, six choices of protein, and four choices of broth (plus the beef daishi, when available), there is no doubt you will find a combination that best suits you.

ramen

Photo by Jennifer Baik

We recruited some friends and ended up with four noodle bowls and two types of baos. The ramen was unique and delicious. The sampling included savory adobo duck ramen with roast duck carnitas, miso ramen with soy-miso braised short ribs, and spicy sambal duck ramen with five-spice pork belly. All the noodle bowls came with a soft-boiled egg, napa cabbage, red onions, sliced jalapeños, and herbed, Korean radish slaw.

As for the baos, we decided on the braised short rib baos with a miso glaze, and the adobo duck baos with duck jus. Both had the option of umami aioli or sriracha aioli, and we went with umami for both. We also got a side of rosemary duck-fat fries (Yup, you read that correctly — rosemary duck-fat fries). 

ramen

Photo by Jennifer Baik

What followed was a sweaty, slurp-filled marathon of epic proportions, and despite a half hour of frantic, conversation-less slurping, the bowls did not seem to decrease in size. Yet despite the ever-growing pains in our stomachs, we kept eating — not because the bowls cost around $13 a pop, but because everything tasted so good that we couldn’t help but try (and ultimately fail) to finish.

ramen

Photo by Jennifer Baik

The baos are eat-in only, so we took full advantage by ordering two kinds and they did not disappoint — especially the melt-in-your-mouth short rib. Paired with the rosemary duck-fat fries, the baos went unexpectedly well with the savory ramen.

ramen

Photo by Jennifer Baik

With a unique taste, fast service, and astronomical portions, Mi & Yu is a ramen place sure to satisfy everyone.

Be sure to check out their website for more information and to like their Facebook page.

Come back next week and join us as we go to Shiso Tavern!