We all love avocado toast for brunch, but what about an entire restaurant dedicated just to avocados? Avocaderia is the world's first avocado bar, set to open in February 2017 at Industry City in Brooklyn! 

We had a chance to sit down with co-founder and soon-to-be general manager, Francesco, to chat about Avocaderia.

How did you get involved with Avocaderia?

Avocaderia is a project that I started with an old friend of mine from university. We were discussing all the huge avocado trends in the United States and we both noticed that there was no brand embracing all this avocado culture.

We decided this is our opportunity. We have to do it now before someone else starts. Like, everyone is doing avocado toast, but there is no brand, no concept around the avocados. It’s a huge market opportunity.

Pictured Below: Yo-Lo Toast (Multi-cereal toast bread, Yogurt and herbs, avocado mash, onsen eggs, mixed seeds and greens.)

avocado, cheese
Allen Peng

Why did you choose to open Avocaderia in NYC?

We had a few options in mind, then we decided we want to start in the hardest place first. If we can make it here, it's gonna be easier for us to try and expand in other parts of the country. This is the right place if you want to create a brand and concept around a food or restaurant.

What's your favorite avocado dish?

I have to say guacamole, because for me, it was the daily breakfast in Mexico. Just fresh avocado, a bit of lime, salt and pepper. Super simple, and the best way to start the day. We want to recreate that experience for people in New York.

Pictured Below: Guacamole & Chips.

salad, vegetable, sauce, pepper, guacamole
Allen Peng

Any other favorite dishes on the menu?

One of my favorites is one of the specials—diced tuna, diced avocado, nori chips, and some special soy fish sauce made by the chef.

Pictured Below: El Salmon Toast (Multi-cereal toast bread, cream cheese, avocado mash, smoked salmon, green pico de gallo, black sesame.)

sushi, salmon, avocado, smoked salmon, tuna
Allen Peng

Is the chef creating custom dishes just for Avocaderia?

For sure. It's an exclusive collaboration for the menu design. And the specials on the menu will be different every month, based on the season and the fresh products we can find.

If you had about 30 seconds to pitch your restaurant, what would you say?

I would just bring an avocado toast with me and give it to my investor. I would just need the avocado to get them to invest in our venture. We don't need anything else. 

For more avocado delights, check out some of our other Spoon articles:

-The Prettiest Way to Eat Avocado Toast

-19 Avocado Recipes That Are Almost Too Good to Be Healthy

-How to Make a Creamy Avocado Smoothie

-How To Make Avocado Toast In 2 Minutes